2009 Imac GPU upgrade gone wrong

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stereo247, Oct 11, 2014.

1. stereo247 macrumors newbie

stereo247

Hi All

Newbie here. I fitted a "working" HD 6970m which I got off eBay. I can get it to show the initial boot screen but then the screen goes goes blank/white.

I then tried booting and holding the "Alt" key and successfully get the different drive options. I can choose which ever. I can boot into windows (I hear the chime when I press the power button and the machine powers down). If I try any of the other drives including a Yosemite install USB eventually the boot fails and sometimes gives "boot disk not found" message.

Does this mean the card is busted as per the latest Apple card swop deal on these or is there something else a-foot that I'm missing?

I am running the Yosemite beta and machine is an i7. Thanks for any help.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Did you flash the card's ROM with an EFI?

3. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

How would one do that?

4. stereo247 thread starter macrumors newbie

stereo247

I second that request. Thought that because it was pulled from a mac it would just work... please let us know how to do this.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't know how to do it either, all I know is that it has to be flashed with an EFI.

6. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Varying information on the net (from "get an old windows notebook with compatible MXM slot for flashing" to "place firmware files in OSX folder so the iMac does it"), so you need to read yourself into the topic a bit (seems to depend to a certain extent on the exact hardware you have).

Only had a quick glance at the sources mentioned below, but think you could use them for starters (especially Netkas is _the_ authority in Mac video card flashing, however quite technical, so you may want to further search Macrumors as well):

MacRumors

Netkas 1

Netkas 2 - Ultimate (iMac) MXM efi rom thread

7. stereo247 thread starter macrumors newbie

stereo247

Awesome links man - will let you know how it goes! Thanks.