2009 Mac Mini + Long HDMI Cable problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by THENIZZZEIL, Nov 26, 2010.

1. THENIZZZEIL macrumors member

Hi guys, I have a macmini and am trying to set up my home theater by using it via dual display. I have it hooked up to my monitor (DVI) and have a minidisplay-to-HDMI converter, however I seem to be having a problem getting anything to display on my projector.

I don't know what the maximum length of the cable is for the macmini transmission. I even notified monoprice and asked them if I needed an amplifier or extender, but I got a pretty broad answer of, "you'll have to just buy them and test them."

I don't exactly have the time or money to try out a wide array of products. Ive tested the set up with a short cable of 15ft and it works fine. I am running about 40-50 ft from my adapter to the projector and nothing shows.

Do I need an amplifier or a repeater? How else can I transmit the video..perhaps the macmini isn't capable of transmitting the video that length of cable.

Thanks in advance.

2. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I have a 45 ft cable connected to the same Mac mini with a mono price mini-displayport to HDMI adapter. It works great.

There shouldn't be any problems with a cable of even that length. Have you tried a replacement cable of the same length?

3. THENIZZZEIL thread starter macrumors member

I have not tried a replacement cable.

Another option that I just researched this morning is the CAT-6 to HDMI kits that seem to be gaining popularity for the 100+ feet installations. I saw them when I was making my setup months ago, but it didnt register that it was a form of getting all the bandwith across long distances of cable.

I'm reluctant to go back and redo the whole thing, my next step is to try a repeater, however they are backordered on monoprice.

thanks for the feedback though!

4. peterdevries, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Sorry, but that makes no sense. The cable is the cheapest component, and with the hardware you have there shouldn't be any problems. Adding more expensive components wouldn't solve a break in your HDMI cable if that would be the cause.

If you add more hardware you will be complicating the process of finding the error.

I would suggest you first try a shorter or equal length HDMI cable to see if the problem is the cable. Also try connecting a dvi monitor to see if the adapter is the problem. It could also be the projector.