2009 Mac mini, no video booting back from Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jzuena, May 25, 2009.

1. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Hi all, I have been Googling (and MRoogling) this issue but come up with nothing.

I recently got a new 2009 Mac mini (the lower end one) to replace my original Intel mini. I did not use the Migration Assistant, instead setting this one up from scratch. I did replace the 1 GB with a Crucial 4 GB kit. Everything was working great until I used the Boot Camp Assistant tonight to install Windows XP. The XP install went fine, including the driver installs from the mini's included system disk. When I used the BootCamp system tray app to boot from Windows back to OSX 10.5.7, my Dell 2005FPW display showed no signal. This display is hooked up using the mini-DVI to DVI adapter. Even shutting down and removing the power brick from the mini for 10-15 seconds doesn't help. To get display back, I had to boot up and clear PRAM (P-R-Command-Option) with the external Firewire drives turned off. Then when I turned the drives back on they would not start up until I shut down the mini and re-powered it up (the first in the daisy-chain is an OWC miniStack v2 which auto-detects a FireWire signal before powering up). Then the mini boots, but the external drives stay unmounted until I mount them from Disk Utility. This same course of events has happened twice. The only things I haven't tried are rebooting and holding down option rather than using the System Preferences Startup Disk option (that way I could just shut down completely after running Windows) and trying all of this with the original 1 GB of memory to see if anything changes. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Windows also offered to install a newer Nvidia driver -- which I declined -- but this behavior seems like it could have something to do with the video driver leaving in the wrong state from within Windows. If no-one else has seen this, I'll break down and swap back the original memory and if it persists go see a Genius to see if things are any different when using the mini DisplayPort connection (I don't have anything with DP right now).

I was very happy when the new mini worked 100x better with my Logitech Bluetooth mouse, but now I'm hitting a snag with BootCamp. I'd just scrap BootCamp and go with just Fusion, but this mini finally has a graphics card with 3D acceleration, so I want to try a few games (and there is a bug with Fusion and 10.5.7 that causes VMware to recommend turning off all 3D support for now).

2. jzuena thread starter macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I found out that if I option-boot and select Windows, I don't have the video problem on reboot, so I'll just use that method for the rare occasions I need to boot into Windows. Fusion takes care of 95% of the uses I have for Windows already.