Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brain-Freeze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Kangaroo land
Hi,
i currently have a early 2008 mac pro 8 core (3.1) and i am exploring the options in the way of upgrades, i have considered upgrading the cpu, ram etc in my little old 2008 MP, but i have decided to hold off this mac and set about getting a 2009 8 core model and upgrading the cpu's in that to a 12 core 5.1 (FW hack),
but i have some questions before hand,
the 2009 8 core MP's cpus do not have a IHS (heat spreader), where as the 2010 12 core does have the IHS, so is there any difference between the heat sinks?

whats the best solution with bumping up the MP 2009 8 core to a MP 5.1 12 core?

Brain-Freeze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Kangaroo land
thanks peeps!
i just wasnt sure if the IHS would cause problems with the upgrade, so its just a matter of putting the correct amount of torque on the heatsink so that its not crushing the socket, and it boots?
is there any problems with temperatures?

also can i use standard PC DDR3 1600MHz ram in the MP?

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
thanks peeps!
i just wasnt sure if the IHS would cause problems with the upgrade, so its just a matter of putting the correct amount of torque on the heatsink so that its not crushing the socket, and it boots?
is there any problems with temperatures?

also can i use standard PC DDR3 1600MHz ram in the MP?

Check out the above article as it will give you insight into the inner workings of the MP.

It's helpful to take your time with everything and have it disassembled to see how things work, interface, etc. Have a look at the optical drive area and how you may need to tap power from that area in the future.

Back in my old PC days the CPU chips had all their pins on the bottom and you just lined it up with the holes on the motherboard's ZIF socket and locked it in. These Xeons are flat on the bottom with contact points for all the pins but no holes. The pins are in the CPU placement area on the daughterboard arrayed facing upwards. So, the CPUs sit supported by its edges and make contact with the pins, which can be crushed if one is not careful.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Back in my old PC days the CPU chips had all their pins on the bottom and you just lined it up with the holes on the motherboard's ZIF socket and locked it in. These Xeons are flat on the bottom with contact points for all the pins but no holes. The pins are in the CPU placement area on the daughterboard arrayed facing upwards. So, the CPUs sit supported by its edges and make contact with the pins, which can be crushed if one is not careful.

AFAIK, AMD chips are still made in this fashion with the pins on the CPU. Several generations ago, Intel made the switch to put pads on the CPUs and the pins in the sockets. On the one hand, it's nice that you can't easily and accidentally bend the pins anymore. On the other, if you do somehow actually manage to mess up the socket itself, there goes the whole board since it's not like the CPU where you can just guestimate bending the pins back.

barryathome

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Well this is my first post, I joined the forum to talk about my upgrade of a 2009 8 Core MacPro to a 12 Core.

CPU Choice - x5680

First let me say this…..I am confident that most people who say not to attempt to DeLid Soldered CPU’s are simply regurgitating other peoples fears and likely have no first hand experience. It is so insanely easy, its almost criminal that people who are packaging DeLided CPU’s with the Thermal Past, Thumb Drive, and cleaner, then marking it up over 300.00 over buying the parts separately and DeLiding the CPU it yourself.

Step 1 - Use the Vice Method (NO HAMMER).

I personally took it one step further, but in hindsight, it was not necessary. I took an exacto blade and cut into the corner sections of the IHS where they are Siliconed to the CPU. I barely cut into each corner.I applied pressure in the vice, let it set for a minute, then applied a little more pressure, let it set for a minute.

Took the CPU/IHS out of the vice, turned it 1/4, then repeated the previous steps. Then took it out, took it back 1/4 turn (Original Starting Location) applied pressure, a little at a time until I started to see the IHS slide on top of the CPU, then took it out of the Vice and slid it by hand the rest of the way off.

The Vice Only method was a piece of cake.

Full discolor, right after Deliding the fist CPU, I was in a terrified moment for a while because, especially on the first CPU there was a ton of Solder that had to be removed. As I was scraping it off with a Utility Knife Blade, visually it seemed like I was cutting into the Die that is on top of the CPU, but that’s not what it was, it was the Solder that made it look that way. It took me about 15 minutes per CPU to scrape off the old Solder and clean up the Silicone that is around the CPU.

Just as a precaution, I decided to just DeLid one CPU, then install it to confirm I didn’t damage it prior to going head over heels by DeLiding both. This way, if I did screw it up, I only had to buy one CPU to replace and not two. Remember, because this was new to me, I still at this point was not sure if my decision to DeLid verses wait for the Washers and Thermal Paste to arrive was the right one.

After DeLiding the first CPU, I installed it in CPU A slot on the tray, with no CPU in CPU B Slot. This was my test to see if I damaged my CPU or not.

I installed the first CPU in CPU A slot, left CPU B out. It booted up right away revealing that I had a 6 Core CPU in the computer. Note: With just one CPU in the A Slot, after competing booting, it’s normal for all the Fans to blow at full speed. They will go back to normal behavior once you have the second CPU installed. So don’t panic when you hear the fans blowing full speed!

So off to DeLiding CPU number 2, put it in, same steps as the first, and BAM. No more fans, all is great.

Typing this on my new

12 Core

Check out my new Geekbench scores, 32 bit and 64 bit scores!!!!!!!

27,492 - 32 Bit
30,377 - 64 Bit

Only 6gb Ram when testing, but I now have 24gb the faster RAM on the way!

Forget the Washers, Forget the Thermal Pad, Forget Clipping the Fan Connector

Delid and be done, it’s so easy!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.