2009 Mac Pro - Boot Camp experiences?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mustgroove, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Has anyone been running Boot Camp on their 2009 Mac Pro as yet? I'm particularly interested to see how Windows XP runs... any issues at all?

2. Frozengeek macrumors member

Nope

No issues, running well. Partitioned the stock HD into a 400gb and a 200gb, put XP Home on the 200 and it's running like a top.

3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

4. seer macrumors member

I'm running 64bit Vista in boot camp and its very smooth indeed. Again no issues to report and all the drivers are right there on the leopard disk even for the 4870

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I tried out vista 64 and was amazed at how much space it took up.
    Trying out windows 7 (64 bit) right now, for a beta it looks quite good, runs excellent. They really stole the right things from osx this time... but meh it is STILL windows
    they all work fine and dandy:)

6. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I have Windows 7 (64 bit) installed. The only problem that I have is that Windows Experience Index stops while going through the disk section and tells me that I have to turn hard drive caching on. In Device Manager I don't see the tab for properties on the disk. Anyone else having this issue?

7. rmpstudio macrumors member

What if i take my hard drive out of my PC??

Thread hijack warning: I want to do the same thing but i have a question - if i take my hard drive out of my PC and install it in one of my Mac Pro drive bays and boot up using boot camp will everything work ok (assuming i install the correct drivers from the leopard disk)??????

I just don't want to buy another copy of XP/Vista and i don't want to do a partition or buy another hard drive if i don't have to.

Thoughts??

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Chances are this will not even boot up. You'd have to do some serious tweaking to get the thing to boot given the different chipsets (I'm guessing) between your PC and the MP.

9. Crashless macrumors newbie

I just installed Vista64SP1 on my 8-core '09 MP and it only seems to see 8 processor cores. I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot, but can't seem to find any info of other people experiencing this.

Anyone seen this yet?

Besides a little issue during installation where Vista64 wouldn't install on the FAT32 volume the Boot Camp assistant made. (I had to repartition that part of the drive to NTFS) Everything else works great after installing the drivers off the OSX disk - even the wireless mighty mouse (which had to be sync'd manually - so have an extra usb mouse available.)

as bamf said, it probably won't work out of the box. You're best of nuking the drive and reinstalling windows. Few operating systems are portable enough to simply plug into a completely different machine and have a chance of working (linux is the exception, but even that is purpose built). no need for a new license as long as you don't run it on the other system any more.

Just nuke and pave.

10. Crashless macrumors newbie

Son of a &#^#&%.

Vista Home Premium only supports ONE physical processor.

I need to upgrade to Vista Business to use all the power of this machine.

(@*&@&^@*^T@!(*!:mad:

11. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Why not just download Windows 7 beta?

[​IMG]

12. Crashless macrumors newbie

That was my original plan, but I don't want to reinstall everything in a couple months when the beta expires. :(

So annoyed at myself right now for not checking that... basically wasted $150. grrrrr.

13. Nik macrumors 6502

I have the following setup:
    2x WD 640GB Raid0 as Macintosh HD
    1x 500GB Samsung for BootCamp.

When I want to setup Windows via the BootCamp wizard I get this error message:
    What's wrong?