2009 Mac Pro compared to

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, Jul 8, 2013.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The spec's of my 2009 Mac Pro is > 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB RAM, 640GB HD, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

How does it compare to the processing power of the current 15" max'd out Retina MBP? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to make the switch, of course I'd gain in RAM and SSD but I can add that to the Mac Pro too. Just thinking of saving space and having a portable desktop machine and if I'd gain much in overall power.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

Geekbench scores for your computer look to be around 9000, where new spec'd out MacBook pros are scoring around 12000, so it would be an upgrade. If portability isn't extremely important, check out the Mac mini. The quad core mini can compete with the rMBP's in terms of speed (they share common components like mobile processors, 2.5" drives, 204 pin RAM). Adding RAM and ssds are possible. The mini is $1400 less (although ssd upgrades add cost to the mini). One thing the mini lacks is a dedicated GPU, which may make it inappropriate for your needs, but if your just looking for a faster computer in terms of CPU/RAM, I think the mini is worth consideration. Very similar to MBP's in terms of space and power requirements.

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks to both of you for the quick response!