Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Hey guys, I'm taking an informal poll on 2009 Mac Pro fan speeds. Specifically, I'm interested in your cpu fan speeds. Mine are at 1114 RPM. Very annoying since they used to be at 800ish RPM.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
2006 Mac Pro 1,1 Upgraded to x5355 8-core, 12GB RAM, 6TB HDD space in 5 drives, 7300GT.

My fan speeds are controlled manually. I have a bunch of presets I made for job-type and season. So it depends what I'm doing.

My slowest setting it 1,290 RPM. My fastest is 2,255.

These were the same with 4GB RAM too BTW.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
smcFanControl sits in the menu-bar and allows me to pull down and select from a fairly large number of presets. It also displays current CPU temperature.

MenuMeters also occupies space in the menu-bar and (as I have it configured) shows:
  • CPU Usage history on all 8 cores individually,
  • Current drive activity,
  • Current number of memory pages,
  • Network activity history + current TX / RX
  • Memory usage history,
I'm always aware of how much CPU usage is taking place and for 1 minute or so of history. If it gets heavy I also glance at the CPU temp. If that is crawling up I select a faster fan-speed from the drop-down menu. When I'm finished doing whatever it is I lower it back down.

Apple's SMC in the 2006 machine is all but broken! It ignores all sensors but the CPU. When the CPU temp hits 75 or so then it bumps up the fan speed just slightly like +50 RPM. If it still continues to rise it will increase more but it never seems to be enough and it can hit 80c or the max Intel rating of 85c very quickly. This alone wouldn't be a huge deal but for the fact that in such conditions my drives (the ones I used to have) would also start increasing temperatures till they were exceeding the manufacturers Max Operating temp of 50c. Also this condition was often accompanied by crazy RAM temperatures.

My new drives are rated at 65c so there's a LOT less to be concerned about but now I'm in the habit anyway. By doing all this manually (with the menu selection) I can be cloning drives, rendering with CPUs at 790%, and writing messages here :) and the CPU never goes above 45c, the drives never hit 35c and the RAM stays reasonable. These temps leave the 2006 Mac Pro responsive and stable even under that kind of abuse. I dunno if it's the clock-clipping or just the heat but if I don't do this then when such temperatures are reached the machine lags, things crash more easily, and of course I know it's killing some of it's life-span.

Apple has taken 2 shots at trying to "fix" the SMC and fan behavior and have failed - so I have to do it by hand. I don't mind tho - it's even kinda fun! I only spend maybe 10 or 15 seconds in a busy day doing this so it's not all that bad either.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Mine was purchased end of March 2009. I have a 4870 and 2600XT, plus 4 hard drives and 8GB ram in there. Single processor unit.

My fans tend to be running around 850 unless I'm doing something processor intensive.

Keep in mind it's warmer out now, maybe the temp in your room is a bit higher now?

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Mine was purchased end of March 2009. I have a 4870 and 2600XT, plus 4 hard drives and 8GB ram in there. Single processor unit.

My fans tend to be running around 850 unless I'm doing something processor intensive.

Keep in mind it's warmer out now, maybe the temp in your room is a bit higher now?

No, the temp isn't doing it. It's in a cool basement. Besides, I let it sit in a shut down state for a few hours, started it, and the fans were still at 1115RPM despite the CPUs being at 21 deg. C. There's something screwy with my SMC. I've got a call into Apple and the engineers are checking it out.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Here is a everything in iStat right now.

Attachments

• Picture 1_4.jpg
    Picture 1_4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 300

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Here is a everything in iStat right now.

And here I thought I was the only one without HD Bay 1 temp sensor reporting. Silly apple.

Also is CPU A towards the front or rear of the case? Cause my CPU A typically runs a minimum of 10C hotter than CPU B.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.