2009 Mac Pro fans at start up and wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macsparky, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Macsparky macrumors newbie

Hello to all and thanks for your time. I have a new refurb Mac Pro 2.93 Quad. From the the first time that I fired it up the fans would come on for about 5 to 10 seconds on start up. I thought since it was the first time it had come to life out of the box that is OK. But after setting everything up and transferring everything from my old G5 I did a restart and same thing. As well as every time that I have started or wake it from sleep it does the same thing...fans on for a few seconds then super quite..Is this normal for 2009 Mac Pro's ? My G5 or my MBP 13 do not do this so that is why I'm a little worried the Mac Pro seems to work fine other than this......Just got it Thursday I'm sweating bullets!!!! Thanks and Happy 4th to Everyone

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Yeah that's normal. Mine does it too. Wait until you put a disc in the CD drive and run it. Sounds like a plane is taking off in my office. I get a lot of laughs from people who think that a $3K computer should make that noise.

I'm thinking that they are right.

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Slight vibration from a DVD drive that is found in other computers too, the MP case seems to deal with it badly although so have a few other computers i've owned.

And yes, it's normal. If it was me coding the SMC (Fan controller) i'd have done it as a fail safe, once communications with all temperature probes are confirmed it settles down :)

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I think you can go and grab electrical tape, rubber gaskets, and glue to completely seal off the ODD and then you won't hear any of the noise it makes internally.

@OP, yeah, mine does the same, its normal.

5. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I guess that's a 2009 MP thing. My Mac Pro Original/Legacy is completely silent, like always. When you turn it on (cold start), the hard drives spin up, everything else powers up, the *BONG* is heard and then the fans silently spin up.

6. Macsparky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies...Am least I know it's normal... But I could do with out that fan noise every time you light her off... O well still 5 times more powerful than my PowerMac G5.... So all and all very happy with my new Mac Pro! Thanks Again For Your Time....