2009 Mac Pro freezing after approx 2 minutes of running...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tifstorey, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Tifstorey macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Any advice is MUCH appreciated! I have a lot of work on at the moment and my Mac is just not responding.

Over the last week, it's frozen on me twice randomly - everything just froze and i had to force shutdown.

Last night, it did it again - but after force shutting it down and rebooting, after a minute it did it again. Now, it won't last for longer than 2 minutes before the whole system freezes.

I've checked all my HDDs and they're working ok. I read somewhere that an airport issue could cause these crashes, so I removed the wifi card i installed around 3 months ago, however the freezes are still happening.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I rebooted via recovery mode but it freezes in this as well so I can't even reinstall Mavericks.

If anyone can offer any advice, it'd be much appreciated! Going to get behind on projects here.

Many thanks,

-Tif

Mac is a 2009 2.66Ghz
    OS X Mavericks

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If your computer freeze even in recovery mode, it's more like a hardware issue.

Did you do the normal stuff yet? (e.g. PRAM / SMC reset)

How you know the HDD is OK?

Are you still using ECC RAM?

Is there any relatively new external hardware?

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Physically remove ALL disks and try booting. You should get a ? icon. Does it freeze then?

Loa

4. Tifstorey thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, and thanks for the responses.

No new hardware has been fitted other than the Airport extreme card which i fit directly onto the logic board. I've now removed this but the crashes/freezes still happen.

I've just tried resetting the PRAM & SMC and now upon booting it up it's asking what language I'd like, going straight into recovery mode.
    It still crashes after 2-3 minutes of being on here.

My worry is, If i reinstall and it crashes during installation, I'm going to be left with a mess.

@ Loa - I'll try your suggestion and get back to you. Thank you,

-Tif

5. Tifstorey thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried this but unfortunately after 3-4 minutes of the ? flashing, it eventually froze on a still image of it.

I've also just tried running the Apple Hardware Test but I couldn't seem to get it working when holding down 'D' on boot up.

Can anyone think of anything to try?

Thanks

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Any diagnostic LEDs lit up on the inside?

7. Tifstorey thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Sean, No - No internal LEDs showing up anywhere I can see.

It freezes, but the computer seems to be running normally - fans/GPU etc.

8. Tifstorey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, fixed it.

Turns out it was the logic board. I've replaced it and it's, so far, working without a hitch.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, appreciate it. :)