2009 Mac Pro just doesn't like disks. Applecare time? Photos inside...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quantum003, Mar 17, 2010.

1. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hey there,

This Mac Pro is a beast but I've had a lot of troubles with it, and lately the annoyances have been exacerbated to the point that I'm about ready to bring 'er in for Applecare.

It's always gotten a little confused about booting. Starting up from an external disk causes it confusion, and sometimes it won't boot the way I know it should... then, after the external drive is removed the MP won't boot at all without a PRAM reset.

Recently, it stopped booting altogether. The trouble seems to have stemmed from the most recent Mac Pro firmware update. After the firmware update, the first time I tried to back up with Time Machine the Pro got stuck, the backup was never completed, and when I went to restart the computer it would not shut down; I had to hard-power it down. After that incident it would not boot at all, and every time I restarted the computer I would see a screen very like the firmware update screen (see pic below). However, the bar would never advance past the point you see in that photograph. Eventually I just re-installed 10.6 and started over...

[​IMG]

So after the 10.6 reinstall everything seemed OK until I tried to add a new 500GB hard disk into Bay #3... I zeroed out the entire disk w/ Disk Utility and formatted it GUID... but afterwards the computer refused to mount the new disk. Disk Utility and DiskWarrior both claimed that they did not even see the new disk inside of the computer. When I got a second 500GB disk (different manufacturer) to try again, the exact same scenario played out.

Finally, today came the final insult... now the Mac Pro refuses to play with my 750GB G-Drive that I use for Time Machine backups. Since the reinstall a few weeks ago, Time Machine does back up for me, but it never finishes successfully... the program gets stuck and stops responding. Finally I am forced to hard-power down the computer. Today when I went to back up, it wouldn't even get past the "preparing to backup- calculating changes" part... it just stopped responding. After I was forced to hard-power down the computer and restart it again, I put the G-Drive through Disk Warrior to see what was up... and I got my first kernel panic. (See below).

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on things I might try? I did try restoring the old firmware using a method suggested in a different thread but the Pro claimed not to need it and booted up around my disc several times.... could something be wrong with the motherboard, or the firmware saved on the motherboard? :confused: I have 2 more years of AppleCare... should I just bring 'er in and see what they can do?

2. Major Reeves macrumors regular

Sounds like its time to take a quantum leap to the nearest apple store.

3. militantmind macrumors newbie

I purchased a 'brand-new' Octo 2.26 MP '09 and had to get it replaced 3 times before I got a working one. Shameful quality control; yet awesome cuntstomer (lol) service.

Get a new one till it works!

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Oh my Gods what a pun! :-D

Loa

5. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Well bummer... I was hoping there was at least one more thing I could try before bringing her in for service...

OK, so how should I do this? Should I remove the disk with all my personal files and stuff and just leave the boot disk before dropping it off? Should I pull my 12gb of ram and return the original 3gb? Should I bring my g-drive to demonstrate the problem for them?? My worst fear is that the Pro acts just fine at the apple store and they send me home without looking into then problem...

Thanks!

6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

return the computer to its original spec from apple. then try turning it on and doing what you gotta do. if it's still not working, THEN take it to apple configured exactly as you bought it (hardware, anyway)

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

At least Apple Consumer Electronics tried to make everything better. I remember back in the day that Apple Computer would have gotten it right the first time.

8. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

So if anyone is interested in how this came out... it wasn't actually my Mac Pro's fault in the end. Turns out it was the combination of a bad 500GB 3.5" SATA drive (won't stay mounted) and a 750GB G-Drive Quad (cheaply-made, overpriced piece of crap) that made my MP look bad.

I would strongly recommend not buying a G-Drive, at least not without having a look here first.

9. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Thanks for the feedback and update. Certainly lots of time wasted just because of the bad items. I'd my fair share of time wasting too.

Glad you finally sorted it out.