Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I have installed windows XP on my Mac Pro and am trying to connect to the internet through a wired connection, which works just fine on OSX.

When I go into device manager, it doesnt even register that I have a way of connecting to the internet. Anyone know anything about this issue?

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I have no idea how to do either of those things and neither was mentioned in the instructions on the Apple website... got a link by any chance?

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
Bootcamp is essentiale a driver package for windows on the mac.

More info on that: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

So to be clear, you have to instal this once you are booted into windows xp. ( Keep 'alt' pressed at boot-up, select windows drive)

bootcamp 3.0 you will find on your snow leopard disc.
bootcamp 3.1 :
for windows 32 bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL996?viewlocale=en_US
for windows 64 bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979?viewlocale=en_US

Once your done, you'll probably have to change your bootdrive to macintosh again. You can change this under systempreferences on the mac side, under startvolume, or bootdisk, or... (something like that, I use a Dutch, or sometimes a German version, but never an English one.)

I don't know if windows xp 64 bit is fully supported though. I thought I read here somewhere that it isn't. Good luck!

One more thing, I hope you formated the windows partition to NTFS instead of FAT32. YOU SHOULD!

I'm going to bed now,(one a.m. here), please let me know how it worked out and I will help you in the morning if it didn't!

Last edited:

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks, that worked. I installed the drivers and it recognized the network card and I can connect and everything.

Something weird though, is that I am using google chrome, and when I scroll down a simple page with google search results, it clearly has some issues "rendering" the visual scrolling effect. The same thing happens with IE, so it's not just chrome.

It also happens when I drag a regular folder window around on the desktop.

Any idea what could be causing this? It gets all choppy and the window will jump around.

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
1) it's windows, have you tried a reboot ;)
2) some people say the apple graphic drivers suck and download them at the ati/nvidia website.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
The problem with the bootcamp drivers is they're quite out-of-date, particularly the graphics drivers which typically get monthly updates from their manufacturers. Install the driver package for your graphics card directly from the manufacturer's site (NVidia or AMD, depending on your card). I imagine this will solve your problem, particularly if you didn't have it prior to installing the bootcamp driver package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.