2009 Mac Pro peg leg - what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adam9c1, Nov 30, 2018.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

I have a 2009 single socket tower with a damaged leg / arm.

Do I part it out and sell the CPU tray, backplane, power supply separately?

It's a 4,1 flashed to a 5,1.

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

I think this may depend on your personal interest in how well it looks. My MP sits on the floor, and as long as it works I don't really care how it looks. That said, because I can't see it and it sits out of the way, it's in perfect condition.

But if it's a dented/damaged "foot" I would consider cutting a piece of wood (2x4 in the US) to level it out (HDDs and fan bearings) and raise it off the floor (air flow/dust). Attach with silicon caulk, which works exceptionally well on these materials. Or latex caulk, which would enable you to pry it off at a later date if required.

3. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

BL2.png

4. fhturner macrumors 6502

fhturner

That’s the actual machine (and not an edited stock photo)? I’m wondering what the actual deformation looks like. I got one with a collapsed upper rear handle and through the use of some heat (solar and heat gun), 1x4s, and a breaker bar, I managed to straighten it back out enough to where it’s now hard to tell it was bent. Not sure if you might have the same success without seeing it, but might be an option...

5. thornslack macrumors 6502

6. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

Dont use heat on alumium, just bent carefully. A wide vise with cloth helps also.

7. macsforme macrumors regular

This was a good video I found on how to try to straighten a bent leg (although in my case, I ended up sending the machine back to the seller, and finding a seller who packed their Mac Pros more carefully):