2009 Mac Pro won't turn on, turns off

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rondocap, Jun 30, 2012.

1. rondocap macrumors regular

So recently my 2009 Mac Pro has been turning off randomly. Now, I was able to get it to stay on for 20 minutes, then it turned off and now wont even start.

The power light wont even turn on - it clicks but nothing happens.

What could be the issue? It's been hot lately, and I do have 4 hard drives and an Nvidia 6870 gpu.

Even with cpu temp in the 30's, it still shutdown and wont turn on.

Is it the psu? What can I do?

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It may be caused most likely by the failing HDD. The failing GPU may be also a cause.

3. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Failed HDD, would still at least post and ask for a drive.

Failed GPU would also have the fans kick in as tried to boot.

Sounds like a failed PSU

4. rondocap thread starter macrumors regular

What's weird is that it will turn on and work fine for 20 minutes, then shutdown by itself, and for a while will fail to turn on, but after some time will eventually turn on again.

Is it likely the psu? Hard to change?

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Sounds like it, but you'd have to test it properly before changing it. Have a look at the Apple Service Manual for the 2009 Mac Pro, they have the standard procedure.

That said manual states :
    It's pretty easy to change the PSU in a Mac Pro, but it will probably be a bit pricey for the spare part.

Found this one in the UK :
    applemacparts.co.uk

6. rondocap thread starter macrumors regular

It's been very weird. I changed the outlet that it was plugged in to, and it's been on now for a few hours. I also have the room cold with the AC on.

I am curious what may be going wrong, is it possible the electrical outlet was the one that was bad?

There was also a storm here the night it stopped working well. Maybe something happened..

7. rondocap thread starter macrumors regular

So an update - I plainly switched the outlet it was connected to, and I have not had the problem return.

Mac Pro is fine, so I think it was just the outlet. It was plugged in through a power surge strip.

That's weird, has this happened to anyone before?