2009 macbook 13" trackpad help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tartarus, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Tartarus macrumors member

Hello everyone, i just bought a 2009 white macbook and i read on ifixit that i can buy a trackpad from the 2008 non unibody macbook pro and swap them out so i can use the multitouch gestures on mountain lion, i really want to make the trackpad internal(no i dont want to just buy a magic trackpad and carry it with me) however, i cant seem to find any trackpads alone, only top cases, If anybody has just a trackpad from a 2008 (must be 2008) non unibody macbook pro (any size) and would sell it to me, pm me. otherwise i had another idea. could i take a magic trackpad and wire it to be powered by some part of the macbook internally and then cut the hole appropriately inside the macbook and make the external magic trackpad internal?

the last idea is a long shot and i would much prefer to use a macbook pro trackpad.

thanks!
    -Allen

2. DaKKs, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

DaKKs macrumors 6502

I cant even begin to explain how impossible the latter is. Even if the wiring might, i repeat might, be possible, and even then only to a professional, there is simply no room for it internally.

As for a 2008 trackpad, we have a bunch of busted 2008 macs at the it dept in school. If you give me the part number, i can check and rip one out before the machine goes back. I have a bit of leeway with the recycling contract but there are limits to what i can "embezzle". So no promises.

EDIT: Nope. Two 2008 Macbook Pros and a 2010 Macbook. Seems they got rid of 'em during the summer.

3. Tartarus thread starter macrumors member