2009 macbook - a volcano?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vinegarandsalt, Apr 7, 2014.

1. vinegarandsalt macrumors newbie

The reason I am posting this is two Apple technicians (of retailers'. Apple Store has opened just last week here in Istanbul. couldnt show it to a genious yet.) suggested me to do so.
    At first glance they were suspected of my swollen battery causing this. However, battery is at the back side of my Macbook as with all other late 2009 non user replaceable Macbooks as far as I know. So that doesnt explain this "phenomenon". Am I wrong?:)
    Perhaps I should mention, the plasticlike cover under my macbook was swollen too and screws started to drop off. Apple changed the cover at no cost but it happened again.

any thoughts what could have caused this?

Attached Files:

2. vinegarandsalt thread starter macrumors newbie

another angle:

Attached Files:

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Definitely the cause unless you dropped it and ran it over with a UPS van. I would get that to Apple ASAP.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Yikes. Exploding battery. Get a new battery.

It is user replaceable. Spend $10 on a tri-wing screwdriver and a #00 phillips screwdriver and you'll be just fine.

Apple won't replace your battery. They'll come up with some ******** about how you need a flat rate repair that costs $280-$750 on your laptop that is now worth $300, when all you really need is a new battery.

A new top case would be nice, but not necessary.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If under standard usage and provided the OP didn't hot wire this Mac into the power grid directly a battery should not swell or explode like that. That is a huge issue.

6. vinegarandsalt thread starter macrumors newbie

I trust your judgement.(and I want to) I just booked an appointment with Apple. Eventho warranty is not an issue anymore I desperately want to see how they will react to such a bizarre condition :)
    I ll keep you posted. Thanks:rolleyes:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They are probably going to go get a fire extinguisher ready before booting. Just to warn you...

In all seriousness, they will probably say "not our problem" but the last time I checked, electronics are not supposed to bulge and explode into a volcano and pose a fire risk at any age.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

What they will do, as they have done with at least five people who've walked in this year(two had the good sense to record it), will say it did not EXPLODE - it EXPANDED.

They will argue with you explode vs. expand because explode they can be sued for, expand they can't.

9. dspalton macrumors 6502a

10. Anitramane macrumors 6502

11. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Thanks for correcting me, you are right of course. 2008
    Must be my old iMac thats 2007

Dave

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well when a battery expansion causes property damage then they should cover it. If they disregard it and let the OP bring it home and plug it in. If it expands more then the plastic battery shell could break and acid could leak. Then they have a problem since he would acid burns...