2009 Macbook Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blondie :), May 26, 2010.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I have a late 2009 (November) Macbook. The battery has only 29 cycles on it, but the battery health is already at 94% (5,116 mAh out of 5,450 mAh). Is this a bad battery health for being only 6 months old? And what can I do to fix it myself (such as resetting the SMC)? All help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Mitch Guzman

2. celticpride678

It wouldn't hurt to reset the SMC and repair permissions, but that seems pretty normal.

3. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

O ok, I just wasn't overly sure. Apple claims 1000 discharge cycles, but what battery percent would you be at that point? Around 30 or so? haha

4. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. celticpride678

If you are so worried, calibrate your battery.

6. nickali macrumors newbie

My daughter has the same macbook only it was purchased in late March. She was up to 49 cycles last week and showing 92% battery health or approx. 5000 mAH. I phoned Apple support to ask about it. They didn't think it sounded right and suggested taking it to the store so they could run a diagnostic. Took it in last night. In one week, using mostly plugged in the cycles were now up to 55. They hooked it up to a tester and let it run a bit. The genius person said that at the rate the battery was going it would be almost dead within a few months so they replaced it. Picked it up today so we'll see how this one does.
    Have to say, they were a pleasure to deal with. This was my first dealing with Apple support and repairs and I'm impressed. It was never this easy when I was dealing with other PC manufacturers. I was on the fence about Applecare. I thought it would be a waste of money based on previous experience with other manufacturer's customer support. I did purchase it today when I picked up the computer.

7. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well then maybe I will take it into my mac store. It's not an actual apple store, but close enough. I don't have an apple care protection plan, but I did buy the ultimate two year warranty when I bought my laptop from best buy. It should redeem the same thing I think. Anyways, thanks for giving me an actual story, I'll go check it out and see what they say. Thank you :)

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you tried calibrating it? Because its probably just the fact that the little stat counter is incorrect.

9. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I calibrate my battery using apple's instructions on their website, my battery health gets even worse, and then slowly gets better. I just called apple though, and the tech guy said that my battery health is actually pretty good for what it is. I guess I was freaking out over nothing :p Thanks to everyone for their suggestions though :)

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Dude, you Macbook is still a baby, the battery is going to fluxuate(sorry if spelled wrong) like crazy in it's infancy, really dont worry about it man. I've had my Macbook6,1 for 2 months, and my battery %'s jump back and forth everyday!