2009 MacBook Pro Feet Falling Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cergman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Unfortunately, one of the feet on my 2009 MacBook Pro has almost fallen off. Does anyone have a solution for this? I know its not that big of a deal (currently using a piece of scotch tape to fix this), but I would prefer to not use tape on my computer. I am getting a new rMBP 15" when Haswell comes out, but I would like a fix for the time being. Thanks!

Click to view photo

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You could either take it into an Apple store, or order a replacement set of the feet yourself. I just did this and it wasn't very hard at all.

Search around on Ebay for an Apple OEM replacement foot kit (I paid about $12 for the kit which includes 4 feet), and follow these instructions from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5236

You need superglue and the right screwdriver to take the bottom panel off.

3. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Do you know if Apple will do this if your warranty has expired? Mine ended a few months ago, and I just started noticing this issue about a month ago.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That article says that there could be a charge, but I've read from others on the forum that they've had theirs fixed for free even out of warranty. It's worth a shot, even if they do have to charge you for it it might be better than paying and waiting for the kit to come.

Also it sounds like you had the extended AppleCare if you warranty has just now ended, I would imagine that might make them a bit more likely to do it for free.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Just tell them you warranty just ended and didn't knowmifnthey would be able to fix this small problem for free - fish for free repair.

6. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Actually, I called them about 20 minutes ago, and it was by far the worst Apple technical support call I have ever had. The guy seemed really unhelpful, and just kept telling me to just glue it, and my computer was out of warranty. I even asked if I could pay for the DIY kit, but he would not speak about it. Kind of weird in my opinion. I might just go to the Apple store and see what the Geniuses there say.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, it seems like the Geniuses have a lot more leeway when you actually come into the store.

8. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Alright. I'll see if I can go in this weekend, if not next weekend. Will report back with the results :)

9. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

You could try, I tried with my old 13" MacBook; no luck. They wanted me to pay $10 PER foot, a little too expensive

But good luck :)

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

prosthetic feet... :D

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They charge £8 per foot if out of warranty :). If they have any spares lying around they may do it for free though.

They're only glued on - it's not a difficult thing to do yourself.

12. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

The actual foot support plastic that goes on under the foot has cracked away, so I can not glue to back on.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I mean if you buy it. They're £4 on eBay :)

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Considering you're out of warranty that will likely need a bottom panel replacement that I'm not sure they'll do due to the damage.

15. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Okay I'll check that out then.