2009 Macbook Pro - HDMI audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by borowskid, Dec 28, 2012.

1. borowskid macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been answered 1000 times already, but I need your help. I have a 13" 2009 aluminium MacBook Pro, and a brand new Panasonic LCD HDTV. I can get audio (via RGA cables from the Mac's audio jack), and video via the HDMI cable, but not the 2 together.

My question is: will this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/white-Mini-...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a251c0ab5) cable help me and give my life meaning again?

What are my other (simple) options?

Thanks guys

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

1 simple way use mini display adapter with HDMI cable to tv for video, then
    use two male end audio cable from headset out (macbook pro) to audio in to tv, should do it.

3. borowskid thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, that's what i've tried, but i can't get the audio and the video to work simultaneously. ie if the tv input is set to HDMI, i get the picture with no sound. if its set to AV1, i get sound with no picture.

4. ramram55 macrumors 6502

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

It sounds like you have you the RCAs going to L and R audio in on your primary analogue aux source, hence why the sound is not working with the HDMI channel. There's no way to get the 2 to work together without some changes.

Does your TV have a 3.5mm jack port labeled PC In or something similar? This is the audio channel designed to work with the VGA connections found on a lot of flat panels, quite a few manufacturers enable this channel to work with the HDMI 1 port. If you have got this input it'd be worth getting a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable and seeing if it would work.

Second option would be to get a mini Toslink to Toslink optical audio cable, something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-TosL...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356714108&sr=1-7 Optical In ports on TVs are fairly common so chances are that you'll have one, would probably be the option I would go for if this was my set up.

If your TV has neither of those inputs, you will need something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort...JKE2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1356713456&sr=8-4 It's only on the 2010 onwards models where audio was integrated into the Mini Display port, so an adaptor that has built in USB audio would be required.

6. borowskid thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks runebinder. my tv doesn't have a 3.5mm jack input (only a headphone jack output). i also cant seem to see an optical in port for the toslink cable.

looks like the usb adaptor is going to be the way to go.

thanks mate

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

No probs, glad to have helped.

8. borowskid thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved! For the benefit of those with the same problem: in the Audio Settings menu on the TV there is an option for the HDMI audio to be digital or analogue. When set to analogue, and with RCA (red & white) cables connected to my headphone jack, magic happens - picture AND sound. Happy days! Thank you for all your help.