2009 Macbook Pro interesting case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scuby99, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Scuby99 macrumors newbie

Just bought a Macbook Pro with non responsive keyboard he says due to water damage.

A friend looked at was the story, and he decided to get a Macbook Air instead of fixing. So wiped through find my Mac.

After buying, hooked up USB keyboard could type numbers in. Boots up fine to 6 digit PIN screen etc. So seems like motherboard, Ram, HDD etc all work.

Guy, who had no clue and too much money, just bought himself a new Macbook air 1.5 years ago when this happened put it away.

Problem is this: The pin code he gave me, a variation of his birthday doesn't work. So after messing with that for a half hour I tried changing RAM config as I read online this would be good.

Now it won't respond to power button. Battery indicator works fine, SIL works fine when I close the lid but nothing else responds :(

Track pad worked fine before this. Cant do SMC or PRAM reset as built in keyboard doesn't work.

Did I just brick this thing?

I did check beforehand if it was stolen online in several databases, a police database for The Netherlands, where I am etc. So please save the insinuations. I have guy's adres, phone number, went to his house it's all legit. Worst case I take it back. It was very cheap and I paid less than the charger would cost and would like to get it running.

Any ideas would be very very welcome.

First I need to get back to getting it turning on and off, then I'll deal with the rest at the apple store (unlocking).

Cheers!

PS: 2009 Macbook Pro 13"

2. Icehawk macrumors member

Icehawk

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5958751?tstart=0

I found that via google. Looks like they locked it via Find my Mac. I don't think there is a way around it without knowing the pin. Does Find my Mac have the same self-destruct feature Find my iPhone has? 10 tries then boom. I would think so, so I think it's bricked. Someone else may know otherwise.

Good luck!

3. Scuby99 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers. I don't think it has brick function. Also what would it brick? I think I wanna replace the HD with an ssd anyway, upgrade RAM etc.

Thing that I think is weird is that it was starting up and getting to the login screen just fine, it just does nothing now since I messed with the Ram...

In reference to your link: people forget passwords all the time. In this case shown, and mine it doesn't have to be stolen just because the PIN is forgotten. I have no worries going to the Apple store and having them unlock it for me. I just need to get it to start up again, as that is because of me messing with RAM I believe.
    Anyone?

4. Scuby99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I've got it back to working

I have some code options from the PO.

I'm trying those. But if they don't work? Apple store with PO or something?

The other thing is, I've read a lot about people having these issues after a few months after buying a second hand Macbook as the PO discovers iCloud and see's his or her device in there.

So, what now?

5. Scuby99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great news!

I'm in.

Now the disk is been wiped and when I try and install Mountain Lion via Wifi it keeps saying there's a problem and to try running this application again.

Do I need to install from disc?

cheers

6. Scuby99 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm good i got it figured out. Now trying to figure out how to get osx to instal

assuming as I have no asociation with my Apple ID I need to buy OSX?