2009 Macbook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peterpot, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

I've spent awhile trying to research this stuff to no avail, so hopefully you guys on here can answer a few questions I have.

I have bought a August 2009 macbook pro since I need a laptop and will be picking it up on Saturday. I was planning to wait to get the new macbook pro's in the next few months when they are announced, so I'm planning to sell this one once those are announced. (I bought for $650, planning to sell for between $500-600). Alternatively, if the one I am buying fits my needs I may just wait until the new macbooks are announced in 2012.

I've found a good deal on ram and a new hard drive in Kijij. The current macbook has 2gb ram and a 160gb hard drive. The deal on kijiji is 4gb (2x 2gb) and a 250gb hard drive for $100.

1) Will "2x 2gb ram modules DDR3 1066 - SD ram" work in an August 2009 Macbook pro?
    2) Will the performance increase be worth the cost?
    3) Will the increase and ram and hard drive increase my selling price proportionately?

I'm new to macs and would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

2. simsaladimbamba

1. Yes, if they are 204-pin PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM modules.
    2. Depends on your usage, but adding more RAM and a faster HDD, or better SSD, will typically increase performance, and if it is worth it, is up to you.
    I always like to max out my RAM and recently got an SSD for my 2009 MBP and it was quite worth it.
    3. It will add to the selling price, but not by much. www.mac2sell.net and eBay can be used to check prices.

3. Peterpot thread starter macrumors member

Peterpot

Thanks for the reply. I've offered $80 for the upgrade instead of $100. So if it works out then I guess I'll upgrade the macbook pro!

4. sydenham macrumors regular

If it is a 15" 2009 don't bother replacing the hard drive if you are planning on selling it. You will be sooooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyyy.

5. simsaladimbamba

Can you explain whyyyyyyy?

6. Peterpot thread starter macrumors member

Peterpot

Yes, can you please explain why? 160gb is pretty small, and an upgrade to 250gb seems alot better for only an extra $40

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

its not enjoyable when you get a suggestion with no reasoning

8. Peterpot thread starter macrumors member

Peterpot

BUMP :D

Yes, can you please explain why? 160gb is pretty small, and an upgrade to 250gb seems alot better for only an extra $40