2009 MacBook Pro to my Panasonic Plasma Wirelessly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickDaGreek, Sep 17, 2012.

1. NickDaGreek macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find a way to view my MacBook Pro on my 42" Panasonic Viera without using cables. I'd like to be able to do so wirelessly. Is it possible and if so what is the "fiscally responsible" way to do it?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like full mirroring? AFAIK this isn't possible, you could do this is a rudimentary way with Apple TV, but doesn't sound like what you want.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

apple tv would be the best way to do something similar

4. tiwizard macrumors regular

Yeah, for *true* wireless you would need to do something like use an Apple TV and AirPlay mirroring. Obviously you can't do this with the older 2009 MBP, since it requires 2011 or newer, unless you use a third party program (ie. Air Parrot).

However, you could also do some weird combo of MiniDP to HDMI to a wireless HDMI hub (something like this), but I'm not 100% sure that'll work.

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

honestly it would probably be cheaper in the end to sell yours and pick up a 2011+ or just plug it in..

6. tiwizard macrumors regular

Yeah, it might be. But you'd still have to buy an Apple TV (+$100) to use AirPlay mirroring.

Of course, another creative solution would be to try and use something like a Raspberry Pi ($35) and AirParrot to mirror to XBMC on the RPI (not sure if AirParrot will work with it, so you'd have to check), but that'd be really cheap.