Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drumcode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
I have a 2009 MacPro 4,1 which I flashed to 5,1 a few years back so I could upgrade to a W3690.

GeekBench profile: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6372223

I'm tossing up between building a hackintosh given how far they have come these days or if possible, upgrade to a dual CPU tray.

if I went down the Hacintosh road I would probably get:

Core i7 8700K
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3000MHz (4x8GB) DDR4
GTX 1070 ti (this in the MacPro now)

So...

- Can my single CPU tray be upgraded to a duel?
- If so, which is the fastest upgrade kit?
- How does the fastest kit compare to the Hackintosh build with an i7 8700K?

I'm happy to pay a premium to keep my beloved MacPro if I can get similar performance to the Hackintosh, but that might be asking too much of a nine-year-old machine!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a 2009 MacPro 4,1 which I flashed to 5,1 a few years back so I could upgrade to a W3690.

GeekBench profile: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6372223

I'm tossing up between building a hackintosh given how far they have come these days or if possible, upgrade to a dual CPU tray.

if I went down the Hacintosh road I would probably get:

Core i7 8700K
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3000MHz (4x8GB) DDR4
GTX 1070 ti (this in the MacPro now)

So...

- Can my single CPU tray be upgraded to a duel?
- If so, which is the fastest upgrade kit?
- How does the fastest kit compare to the Hackintosh build with an i7 8700K?

I'm happy to pay a premium to keep my beloved MacPro if I can get similar performance to the Hackintosh, but that might be asking too much of a nine-year-old machine!
Yes, you can change trays, from a single one to a dual one - but you can't use Xeons W with dual processor trays.

The fastest dual processor is Xeon X5690, you will need two (~$80 each), 2009 dual tray can be found for around $300, you will need a good thermal paste and to delid the processors.

So, If you do everything yourself, you will spend around $500. You can buy trays already upgraded for $650 on eBay.

Please note that the single core performance of X5690 is similar of the W3690 and is a lot lower than i7 8700K. Dual X5690 is faster in multicore tests. Check Geekbench scores first for both processors.

Drumcode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
What's the machine's primary purpose / workload?

Mostly web dev so I typically have a node & rails server running along with databases etc, plus 20 odd chrome tabs & VScode.

Other than that I occasionally use Sketch & photoshop, some gaming via Bootcamp and have it running as a plex media server.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Mostly web dev so I typically have a node & rails server running along with databases etc, plus 20 odd chrome tabs & VScode.

Other than that I occasionally use Sketch & photoshop, some gaming via Bootcamp and have it running as a plex media server.
I don't think you will be faster with a dual processor tray. The single core will stay the same or a little lower with the dual one.

Dual processors shine with what is heavily threaded like long Xcode compiles, multiple concurrent VMs or video rendering/converting/etc.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Hackintosh should be a better route, I own both cMP 5,1 (W3690, RX580) and Hackintosh (8700K, 1080Ti), a single 8700K can kill a dual X5690 cMP. And the most important parameter for most usage, the CPU single core performance, 8700K is 100% better than X5690 / W3690.
GB4.png

Especially if you run a Pascal GPU. The Hackintosh can always provide "boot screen" which makes maintain the macOS so much easier.

Reactions: orph

Drumcode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Thanks, guys!

@h9826790 how do you find the Hackintosh?

I did a trial run last night with an old i5 and z97 board and was amazed at how easy it was to get working, but I haven't bothered to set it up as a work machine yet so I'm not sure how it would go day to day.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9511292

6229 single core :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks, guys!

@h9826790 how do you find the Hackintosh?

I did a trial run last night with an old i5 and z97 board and was amazed at how easy it was to get working, but I haven't bothered to set it up as a work machine yet so I'm not sure how it would go day to day.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9511292

6229 single core :)

As long as pick the correct hardware, fast and stable. But quite a bit of study need to be done. e.g. need to learn how to properly install / update Clover and macOS, how to properly fix USB 15 ports limits, of how to make the audio work properly etc.

Of course can just follow a golden build, and make it work almost "OOTB" by using those already available customised Clover EFI folder (you should still at least generate a serial number for your own Hackintosh). But I am really not that kind of person, I prefer to know what I am doing, and able to fix issues by myself.

But if you just want to be the users. Pick a golden build, follow it 100% on the hardware, then you can just install Clover and use it like a Mac. (This approach is really like a Mac, you don't have much choice on hardware :p)

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Just for another data point, going from (4,1) with (5,1) firmware, W3680 3.3Ghz Westmere, 24 GB memory, SATA and NVMe SSD to a Ryzen 2700X build with 32 GB and some of the same SSD's gets me just about a 2x improvement, give or take noise, doing development type stuff: compiles, DBMS test runs, etc. Running Linux in both instances. I have to say that I'm very impressed with Ryzen, and for my usage the extra cores are more important than a few percentage points in single thread execution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.