2009 MBP 13" extremely hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nooaah, Aug 16, 2010.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Hey everyone.

Well, my battery life has completely tanked. I drop about 10% per 15-20 minutes with brightness at the second to lowest level. On top of that, the fan is always running and the laptop gets hot. Not just warm, but hot. I usually only have programs like Safari or Firefox, Mail, and Adium open. I don't play games or watch too many movies.

I've read various reasons for this (apparently) common problem - mainly video card drivers. However, I've also read reports of faulty logic boards and video cards. For those of you who have experienced this, have the geniuses been able to fix your MBP or is it common to have to make frequent trips to the genius bar?

2. npropes macrumors member

Are you viewing flash based content in your web browser? Also, monitor your CPU utilization when the MBP starts to get hot. If you see the FireFox process using 100%+, then it is something that you have/had open in the browser that has jammed itself in a loop.

If this isn't the case, and you still have Apple Care, take it straight to the Genius Bar. If they are unable to fix it, then maybe they will replace it for you.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Saying its extremely hot isn't very helpful. Open activity monitor. Whats chewing up CPU cycles? let us know.

Download smcFanControl and increase the fan speed

http://www.eidac.de/?p=134

Also download and install iStat Pro to moniter the complete temps i the computer

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Good luck.

4. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Thanks!

Sorry for not getting very specific. I've been intending on making a thread about this for awhile but I never got around to it until now -- at work without my MB Pro, of course. I'll try to get more information later tonight. :)

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. A lot of people start threads being concerned about the temps of their macintosh notebook. A google search or Forum search will bring u those threads. However if you Mac gets to hot, it will automatically shut down (with out a warning, and the screen will go blank.) May I suggest removing the bottom and then cleaning out the fan. Dust gets in the fan, and the heat sink fins. Blow the dust out, and use a cotton swab with a little water to clean the fan fins.

Good Luck.

-Nick

6. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Hello TS,

At the very first you have to quit all running programs (cmd+q) even after a restart. Then look up your activity monitor for the (already mentioned) CPU utilization. If its close to Zero and your CPUs cools down to 50°C everything is fine and your problem is caused by software. Now you have to check what software is causing your problem. I too assume that it is a flash based internet contend so you should start with FF or Safari and browse the web as usual while you constantly check your CPU load. It is a sad story but Flash is a resource hog and battery killer for macs so you either ignore it (html5) or you start using 'click to flash' for manual activating flash browser content if necessary.