2009 MBP 2.53 poor screen quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Salty Pirate, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

Just got the 2.53 model coming from the unibody 2.4 MBP. This new screen is not very good IMHO. I have panel LP154WP4-TLA1. The colors look fake and I swear the text is blurry. I am having major eyestrain when reading in the dark. That never happened with my old MBP.

Does anyone know if the entry MBP gets a lesser quality panel than say a 2.66 model? I am going to play around with the calibration some more, but man, this seems like a major step backwards, and I have been reading stuff saying how much better the panels were from some photog.:eek:

thx

screen is the 9CA3

2. motownflip macrumors regular

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Do a search on the forums for uMBP 15" Color Profile and it will fix your issue.

4. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

My first 13" MBP had the 9C9E and it was really bad. My new one is stellar. Go figure. But I'm satisfied now. :) Check what screen you have, and if you are un happy with it try to get it exchanged.

5. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

could some uMBP 2009 2.66 owners chime in about what panel you got?

Even after calibration, colors are weird and the text is "blurry". The text blur is my biggest issue. I gave the book to my wife and she was facebooking and she made a comment to me that she liked the old display better.

I want to exchange it, but I could in theory get the same display, unless they put better ones in the 2.66 model. The 2.53 model is w/o the discreet graphics, maybe Apple put in a cheaper quality panel to get to the lower price point?

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have the same display as you on my 2.8 and the color profiles made a huge difference.

7. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I found the native point profile posted for the 9CA3. Other weirdness, things do not look so bad in firefox 3.5 in relation to text blur.

Calibrating helped alot, but not the text blur.

8. munksyman325 macrumors newbie

Try going to System Preferences>Appearance and mess around with the font smoothing settings.

9. covertyows macrumors member

yeah, I just got my 13" mbp, 2.53, and I think that this display is one of the best I have used on a laptop. then again, my experience is limited.

10. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

11. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

spending the day with at work, I think it is much better after calibration. :apple:

12. vanc macrumors 6502

I had the same experience too. With the first day use, I got bad eye strain and it never happened with my old white MacBook. After disabling the "Auto adjust brightness with ambient light" and changing the calibrated profile, I haven't feel any eye strain. But the glossy screen is still a distraction and causing eye strain when working with a light background.

13. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I have the exact same machine and have only noticed text "blur" in TextMate. I've specifically checked in other commonly used applications and have compared side-by-side with a previous-generation unit and a unibody MacBook. I see no differences at all, except in that one application.

14. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

15. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The panel itself is not that great, it can show a max of 262000 colours. Shouldn't be that bad in normal use though.