2009 MBP (2.66 C2D) still great?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c.s., Jun 14, 2012.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

So I've been thinking this is the year to upgrade. Last year I stretched my 2009 MBP with added RAM and a 256 SSD from OWC, which made it unbelievably faster. I played with the new Retina MBP at the Apple store, using Photoshop & InDesign (the programs I use all day). Honestly, I couldn't feel much of a difference, and I'm a professional graphic designer. The only thing that was REALLY nice was all the screen real estate in expanded view. I honestly still love mine, which is usually connected to a 27" display anyway. Not sure if the hype is warranted.

2. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

I would say, if the unit suffices for your uses then pocket your money. I had the 2.66 C2D processor and I too added 8GB Ram and a SSD which sped up the laptop and I would have never bought a new laptop but I gave the 2.66 C2D to a family member.

3. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Save the $3,000 and wait till the prices subside.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your 2009 MBP is still a great machine. If you're mostly using InDesign and Photoshop, it will probably continue to do everything you need it to for at least another year. If you feel happy with it, why spend the money on a new one? Once it doesn't meet your needs anymore, then it's time to move on. I was using my 2008 MBP (without the RAM upgrade or SSD) for the same kind of stuff you're doing up until last year. It was still a great machine, but hubby took it and my mom took his white MacBook. :)

5. c.s. thread starter macrumors regular

c.s.

Good points. I've been trying to talk myself into something new when it's not really practical for me yet.

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If you have an SSD in there and are not taxing the machine, that sounds like a fine machine and I would personally hang on to it. An SSD buys a lot of life when it comes to any machine.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I take it 2009 MBP is a FINE machine than a 2007 MBP with 4GB and SSD? :mad: