2009 MBP 2gb ram upgrade HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abond2014, Jul 26, 2011.

1. abond2014 macrumors member

abond2014

:D

hey guys,

my friend and i are upgrading his MBP 2009's ram. It currently has 2gb of ram, and it just isnt keeping up anymore. he does some pretty intensive tasks and programs so he is upgrading to 8gb. But what our concern is which company is the best for our situation. and we dont know which MHZ to buy and maybe upgrade his hard drive as well. If you guys could post links of what you guys recomend would be great thanks! :apple::D

2. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

its 8gig pc 8500 gskill. also comes with a free flash drive.

For ram almost any brand is good as long as its not some no name poc. Some people reccomend owc ram but your paying double the ammount for the same thing. People lie to them selves and justify buying owc ram because its "mac certified" or what ever.

Many people on this forum including myself bought gskill or other non mac certified ram for there mbp and it works fine.

If your going to upgrade your hard drive get an ssd. The intel 320, samsung 470, crucial m4 are good choices. They are expensive but offer the most preformance increase that you can put in your laptop.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

4. Symbolism macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have the exact same question as the original poster.

I'm about 5 seconds away from getting on that deal (including the $10 off new customer promo they have going on) for a total of 47 dollars shipped.

I have a concern though: I'm planning to eventually upgrade my MBP in the next revision. If I keep the 8gb ram would it work in the 2011 MBP's or beyond? I'm not exactly how ram works, but I think they run at different speeds (1066 vs 1333 mhz)? Would this mean I have to get a new ram when I upgrade? Would it really affect my future MBP if I use the 8gb in the future?

Thanks in advance!