2009 mbp 3.06 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smittyzz, Aug 7, 2013.

1. smittyzz macrumors member

just bought off ebay nd love it. paid 400 for it.
    2009 macbook pro 15 inch unibody
    3.06ghz core 2
    4gb ram
    3200gb hdd
    got it so cheap because it needs a battery and there are 2 vertical lines on the screen, and he said the screen flickered.
    well got it today and love it, but the issue is the flickering isnt really flickering, the screen will go out like it was shut off, and if i give the macbook a bend from one corner to another, it stops acting dumb...
    the tricky part is when its on the dedicated card there are no issues at all...

So is it a bad logic board? short in the igpu? what could it be?

2. smittyzz thread starter macrumors member

update

Well no answers from you guys. only my second post, i was liking this forum but seems like your not so friendly with new people. but i got 45 refunded so i will be buying a battery with that, and i have gfx card status on dedicated so i havent been having any issues at all, and i keep the fans on 4000 minimum so it hasnt gone over 65C

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

I doubt that the no response was due to "you're not so friendly with new people", but rather that nobody had any information or suggestions, due to the nature of your post. :D
    If I recall correctly the 2009 models with 2 GPUs required setting the GPU in the power saving preference pane and a reboot or log out to activate the GPU.
    I.e., the GPU was not auto-switching. Does gfxCardStatus actually work switching the GPUs, or is it just showing what GPU is activated in the preference pane? Another problem is I don't know what you mean by "dedicated card". The Core 2 Duos had an integrated GPU, the nVidea GT9400m, and a discrete GT 9600m. Which one is activated and working OK?
    I once had a 2009 2.53GHz C2D with only the GT9400m, and it was a very usable machine as long as you didn't expect too much for intensive CPU or GPU applications. That 3.06GHz MBP should be even better, and considering the low price you paid for it, it may be worth having Apple check it out for repairs. Can you use it reliably hooked up to an external monitor?

4. smittyzz thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for the reply!
    Yes gfxcardstatus works on my machine, that how i found out my issue.
    let me explain better,
    when the 9400m integrated chip is activated the screen will cut in and out, like i was literally unplugging the cord from the motherboard. the guy i boaght it from on ebat thought it was a screen flicker, but infact its not, im very good with electronics and i rebuild laptops so i am not stupid lol.
    the way i get the screen t work is by bending two opposite edges so its like putting a flel on the motherboard. like bending a pencel in half, i cam make a video if you want!
    but on the 9600m gt theres no issues at all, so im not two worried about it. i just wont use the igpu
    i just wanted some input,
    and i could call and see but i am extremely tight on money right now (sold my other macbook 2007 black and my gateway for the money to buy this)

5. smittyzz thread starter macrumors member

Update

Just an update i baked both gpus and the issues went away for about a half hour so did it again but longer gonna test to see how long, if it comes back i have a way to "cob" it so it will stop