2009 MBP battery replacement. Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davehutch, Jun 15, 2015.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Hi all, up until this weekend, my battery has been reasonably ok for a 6-year old machine,with Coconut Battery showing it as 75% of its design capacity.
    However, on Saturday, it suddenly shut down at 40% or so, so I charged it up and then it did it again, with Coconut showing it as 35% of its design capacity.
    I've discharged and charged it a few times to see what happens, but to cut a long story short (too late!), I'd feel bad selling it to someone unless I knew the battery was up to scratch.
    Coconut only shows 304 charge cycles so my question is, under what circumstances have you known Apple to replace a battery on an out-of-warranty Mac, free of charge?
    Does it need to meet a minimum performance at all?
    I can quite easily replace the battery myself and buy the battery from iFixit, but do you think it would be worth taking it to Apple first to see if they would definitely charge me for replacing it?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They won't replace it out of warranty at all free of charge. Hell they won't even replace it in warranty if it is deemd to be down to hard use that they have died, the cost of replacing them is your responsibility.

This is rightly so can you imagine the increased cost of their laptops if they replaced batteries for the life of the machine????

3. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

What constitutes "hard use"?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I think your battery has given you great service. I have the same machine and am presently on my third battery.

6. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

I agree. Although most of its life has been as a desktop machine, on the mains.
    Just odd that suddenly it shut down at 40% with no warning...twice.
    I'll go through the calibration routine mentioned in the link above

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would open it up and look for battery swelling, if it is the whip it out quick they can cause some structural damage to components swelling and if they burst they they can cause so much corosion as to be logic board ending....

8. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Good advice. Will do