2009 MBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blwade, Oct 22, 2014.

1. blwade macrumors 6502

I have had my MBP since 2009. It still runs pretty well given its age - with the exception of the battery.

My battery started declining a little while ago. I am (obviously) long out of warranty and I assumed that I would just have to pay the full replacement price for a new battery (this is the first uni body with non-removable battery).

I also noticed as my battery got worse that the track pad was loosing its ability to do the press down click.

I believe at one point, I had heard stories of battery swelling causing the track pad issue.

I've seen on the iPhone forums, that if there is a battery swelling issue, Apple will often replace them even when out of warranty.

Might this be the case for me?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

worth a shot to take it to apple and see what they can do for you?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nothing is impossible, but it's not likely that they'll replace it free. Batteries can swell as a result of defect, but they also can swell near the end of their useful lives, even if no defect is present. You should expect to pay to have your battery replaced, as it is a consumable item, not intended to last forever.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.