2009 mbp dead hdd or cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blwade, Feb 25, 2015.

1. blwade macrumors 6502

I have a mid 2009 mbp with a 1 Tb hdd that I think is either suffering from a bad hard drive or bad cable.

I upgraded to Yosemite and immediately regreted it... It was taking several minutes for me to open an application and was running really slow.

A couple nights ago, I went to boot it up and saw a loading screen with the apple logo and a loading bar. It eventually went to a screen with a no symbol.

I cant boot it in safe mode or recovery mode... I got out my disk that came with it and booted from it and attempted to repair the drive. The first time it seemed to work, but then it still wouldn't boot. I tried again and eventually stopped repairing and sat there... I even ran it over night and it didn't finish.

Today I attempted to wipe it an having the same result. It doesn't make it very far before it stops moving.

This is frustrating because the hard drive isn't but a little over a year old...

Is there anything I haven't tried? is it worth buying a new cable in hopes that is my issue?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's possible you need a new cable. They're rather flimsy and can start to fail with the slightest thing like carrying the MBP in a bag with other things.

3. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Can you put the drive into a USB caddy and boot from that, will eliminate the drive as being the problem this way

4. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't own a casing at the current moment unfortunately...

How much does the cable cost and where can I buy it? Think this is my cheapest test route?

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I bought mine from eBay

Mine were £19.99 and £22.99 for a 2010 and a 2011 cable

6. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

This just happened to me. Though I ended up getting a new cable, which didn't fix it, and then ended up ordering a new SSD hard drive. You can try DiskWarrior and pray that works.