2009 MBP HDD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sunnykk2323, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sunnykk2323, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

Sunnykk2323 macrumors newbie

I am planning to upgrade my SO's 2009 MBP hard drive as it failed last week. I had an extra internal drive lying around from my old PC and I made it into a bootable Mavericks OS external drive using the directions posted here (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796). I did not understand the last part of the article where it says "Once installation to your external device is complete, you can use it to start up your computer. You can then use Disk Utility, the Mac App Store and the OS X installer to install, or erase and install OS X on the normal startup drive of your computer"
    Can't I just pop this drive into the HDD slot and assume that this is the boot drive OR do I need to run some commands to let OS know that is a primary boot drive now?

Also, I plan to upgrade the MBP to a new SSD. How do I make the transfer in the easiest possible way? Sorry if I have asked stupid questions but I haven't dealt much with Mac OS and not sure how to install the OS from an external boot drive.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, you can take the drive out of the enclosure, put it into the Mac and it will work. Remember after your first bootup with this drive to go to startup disk in system preferences to ensure the new drive is set as the startup disk to ensure speedier bootups.

I would steer clear of any Samsung EVO SSDs for the foreseeable future. Samsung have already screwed the pooch with respect to the 840 EVO, and I have no confidence in Samsung's TLC NAND products in the EVO range.

I would suggest either a Crucial MX200 or BX100.

3. Sunnykk2323 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! I'll look out for Crucial SSD. Once I have it, I can just clone the old HDD and replace it with the new SSD, right? I remember running fsck and some other commands as the OS had some trouble with repair permissions. Is it advisable to run that after switching to SSD too?

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, you can just clone the HDD to the SSD. You can use the recovery partition to boot into and do a repair disk with disk utility...

5. Sunnykk2323 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Ordered BX100 from Amazon and will swap it on Friday.

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

Can you expand on this? I haven't heard of anything...

7. Sunnykk2323 thread starter macrumors newbie

A quick question. Last week, since my SO's MBP was not booting up (or going into recovery), I copied the installer file for OS X Mavericks from my friend's Mac (by going to Mac store on his apple ID). Is it OK to do that since I technically did not pay for the OS?

OR do I need to login with my SO's apple ID and download/install whatever shows up under her "purchased/installed" in Mac store?

8. chipchen macrumors 6502

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, it's free.