2009 MBP just crapped out...wait for rMBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bs-2010, Jul 22, 2013.

  1. bs-2010 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #1
    Hi guys. My 2009 Macbook Pro just recently died to a point where it isn't worth the cost of fixing. I'm looking to upgrade to a 15" rMBP. As we are all aware the Haswell refresh is expected in the coming months but no one knows when for sure. I really only NEED it for when school begins again (Early September) and can most likely get by until then.

    If you were in my position would you try to wait until September for Haswell or just buy a current 15" rMBP? Macmall has some good prices on new 15" rMBP so I'm trying to decide if it is worth the wait for the refreshed models or to save money on the current lineup.
     
  2. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. My 2009 15" 2.53 ghz is on the verge. Constant rainbow ball of death, takes a full minute to open programs such as word etc. they tell me I need a new processor or logic board. Been waiting for months, and as I've waited this long, I shall continue to wait. It's really not so much about Haswell or the new Wifi or the new SSD's or the Thunderbolt 2's, it's just that I REFUSE to buy a first generation Apple product, much less one that is going to cost me $2,700 before taxes (Maxing out the ram and getting a 512 gig) All Apple products are somewhat half baked upon first gen and the retina is certainly no exception
     
  3. Ironsyde macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #3
    There is a slim chance Apple may release the update this week; if not, we really haven't got a clue, though most think it won't happen until October. Mavericks seem on track for a September release. In your place, I would wait until Wednesday and then buy; if you don't need the laptop right now, you can trying waiting until September, though a refresh then is unlikely.
     
  4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

    Dalton63841

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Location:
    SEMO, USA
    #4
    Out of curiosity, what are you doing with the dead 2009 model?
     
  5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #5
    Wait as long as possible. Haswell is huge for students.
     
  6. bs-2010 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #6
    Right now I'm not doing much with it. It works everyone once in a while but sometimes it doesn't detect the hard drive and won't boot. I've taken it to the Apple store earlier and they've does some other repairs to it so it is semi-functional.
     
  7. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #7
    Mine is more functional than the other guys. And it has such a beautiful display. Superior to the current cMBP by far. I bought a CMBP 9 months ago then returned it because the display wasn't nearly as defined and vibrant as my 2009 model. That's when I decided to wait for the 2nd generation retina. As far as what I'll do with my 2009...IDK. I think I could get around $400 for it as a trade in, maybe
     
  8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #8
    Yours is in no sense of the work broken..
     
  9. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

    Dalton63841

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Location:
    SEMO, USA
    #9
    If you decide to get rid of it shoot me a PM. Maybe I could fix it.
     
  10. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Location:
    CA
    #10
    I finally found someone else like me! This is exactly why I'm waiting. All people think about are the new Haswell processors, and maybe think about new 802.11AC (Most don't even think about new PCIe flash or Thunderbolt 2), but because it's first gen with ghosting, lag, and other issues on a $2,500 machine. To me, that is too much money on something that has never had feedback to developers before.
     
  11. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    Similar situation here too. 2009 2.26ghz

    Thermal paste is cooked, fan is making threatening noises and general performance is sinking. Not to mention the overdone battery.

    I'm seriously debating just going for the Air if it does not upgrade by the end of this month.
     
  12. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #12
    I would recommend waiting - especially if you can tough it out with your existing notebook until then. If the haswell reviews don't come out to that great, then you can always buy the early 2013 version for a lot cheaper.
     
  13. vincenz macrumors 601

    vincenz

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #13
    If you're dead set on a rMBP, I'd wait the 2-3 months. All day battery life is huge, wish I had that around back then. If college comes around and you're without a computer, just use the computer lab for a month, it won't kill you. Patience is a virtue.
     
  14. falconeight, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

    falconeight Guest

    falconeight

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #14
    I always wait for the next 4 updates. I've been waiting to get a Mac for 3 years. I'm almost there.
     
  15. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #15
    EXACTLY, my brother in arms. Remember the first iPhone and iPad? Stayed away from those. I was uninformed enough to buy the first intel MBP in Dec 2006. It completely died in a bizarre fashion less than two years later. Not about to let that happen again. I really am not all that interested in what Haswell does or doesn't do, I just want a 2nd generation retina.
     

Share This Page