2009 MBP overheats and crashes when gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Parple, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Parple macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Macbook Pro from 2009. (4GB Memory and 2.6GHz)

When I try to run League of Legends or Skyrim on Boot Camp or Counterstrike Source on OSX, my computer overheats after about ten minutes of play and crashes.
    Specifically, the screen blacks out suddenly and the audio stutters for a bit and eventually stops as well. (On LoL, the server shows my computer as having disconnected.)

I'm running these games on the lowest settings, and am already using fan control apps to keep my internal fans running at maximum. I also have external fans under the laptop, something like this one.

I previously owned a different 2009 MBP, with only 2GB RAM and 2.4Ghz processor speed... which was able to run Oblivion, League of Legends, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 (not all at once) without overheating and crashing.

Anyone have an idea as to why my machine is overheating and crashing despite the additional cooling I am giving it, and what I can do to fix it?
    I'm pretty sure the warranty has expired but I'm competent with tools and comfortable opening and working on my computer myself.

(Thanks!)

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You might want to reapply thermal paste to the CPU/GPU.

Did you experience any overheating issues in OSX? When using windows, I started leaving my macbook in powersafe mode (battery/energy settings) because I had the feeling that windows let it get too hot.

You could also bring it to an apple store and have them run their diagnosis. Note also that you can check the warranty status just with your serial number

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

3. Parple thread starter macrumors newbie

I had been thinking thermal paste might be the thing to do. I do get the overheating trouble in OSX when I'm using the more powerful of the two graphics cards in the computer, so it must be that card that's giving me the trouble since it's the only one available under Boot Camp.

On Windows I use LubbosFanControl to set the fan speeds, and the temperature readouts seem to show the "GPU Diode" as being the thing that heats up the worst/fastest/hottest.

I'll check my serial number on the website when I get back to my apartment. Thanks for the link!