2009 MBP Ram Upgrade - Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mnorton303, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mnorton303 macrumors newbie

Really new to the forums (joined today) so sorry if this is posted somewhere already, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer to what I wanted to know :)

I just upgraded my stock HD to a new OCZ Agility 4 SSD last night. Very happy with the new addition! It went pretty smooth for never doing something like that before thanks to all the great comments posted by people in the forums. Wouldn't have been able to do it without that!

That being said, I'm a little uncertain about my ability to upgrade to 16GB of RAM. I found several companies Corsair, Patriot, Centon, etc with 16GB of ram for around $99... However, all of them (except Centon) state 2011 MBP and later as being compatible. That being said, I've noticed others saying they've successfully upgraded to 16GB of ram in their 2009 MBP here in the forums, so my question is this. Will any of these mentioned above work in my 13" 2009 MBP? For example: Centon, 16GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 Dual Channel laptop memory (2x8GB modules) or is there truly an 8GB ceiling on the ram in this year MBP/processor?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP supports a maximum of 8GB of RAM.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As GGJstudios stated, the maximum memory that the 2009 MacBook Pros can handle is 8GB.

I upgraded my 2.53GHz 13" MacBook Pro a few months ago and decided to go with some Corsair 1333MHz memory instead of the 1066MHz memory that was in there. Normally I would expect the laptop to simply run the faster RAM at the lower speed, but it actually runs at full speed and gave me a slight performance boost.

I'm pretty sure this is the RAM I went with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281

4. mnorton303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that the answer would be different and that I'd be ordering 2x8GB modules to install, but it is what it is...

Thanks!