2009 MBP - replacement options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbydaz, Mar 10, 2014.

1. bobbydaz macrumors regular

My 17" MBP is coming up for 5 years old and beginning to show it's age.

2009 2.93 Core Duo / 8gb ram / 512 ssd

I'm using it mainly for graphic design, Adobe CC (InDesign page layout + medium to heavy Photoshop work).

TBH I don't necessarily need another laptop as 95% of the time it's on my desk rigged up to an Apple 24" LED display.

As I see it my options are:

2013 MBP - 13" or 15" retina - improved performance to current MBP, but paying for portability and HQ screen I will rarely use.
    2013 iMac - nice, but probably paying for a screen I don't really need.
    2014 Mac Pro - lovely, but way too expensive.
    So this brings me to my final choice:
    2012 Mac Mini - This would be my cheapest option and I would increase ram to 16gb and use the 512 ssd from my current MBP.

I suppose my dilemma and question would be - is a Mac Mini powerful enough to use for graphic design work? On paper the specs are far better than my 5 yr old MBP but would my money be better spent on one of the other options. My upper budget is around £1600 ($2600).

2. cypriot macrumors regular

Mini seems like a fine choice given that you dont need neither portability nor a screen. However i would wait for an update in mac mini specs. Even without any update the current version seems more than great.

3. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I was thinking of waiting for the imminent update. Please hurry up Apple!

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

A current Mac Mini is likely to be faster than a 5 year old computer.