2009 MBP SSD & TRIM Req's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by netslacker, Apr 22, 2015.

1. netslacker macrumors 6502

I've been reading a lot lately about SSDs and would like to install one into my aging 2009 MBP that is now showing signs of HDD fatigue. There's a few recent threads on here on the process of installing and moving data but so far none of them have addressed the question on what to do with TRIM.

My computer is now freezing up occasionally due to the current Seagate hybrid drive getting ready to give up the ghost. So, I'm getting rather tired of changing drives every ~2 years and am interested in installing an SSD for performance and hopefully some better longevity.

I use the computer for a LOT of photo and video editing, beyond that it's just web and normal stuff. I'm ready to run out and pick up the affordable PNY CS1111 480gb SSD from our local best buy for 169.99 and start the install process but I keep hesitating because of the whole question around TRIM.

I'll run Yosemite so enabling TRIM via the Kext hack is out. I've read on some sites that TRIM is no longer available but then I'll read somewhere else that it's absolutely necessary for the longevity of the SSD and to maintain performance. So which is it? Are there other approaches to TRIM other than Kext hacking?

Thanks for any insight.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Why?

- No, kext signing has to be disabled for TRIM to function on third party SSDs in Yosemite.

Read this article: https://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Also, I'd stay away from the PNY drive. Get something from an established and well-regarded manufacturer such as Samsung or Crucial.
    The Crucial BX100 is available for almost exactly the same price, and with 20 GB more storage, which actually makes it cheaper per GB.

3. netslacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Disabling Kext signing just seems to be asking for it. For the same reason I don't jb my iPhones I don't want to be in the cat and mouse game with Apple, wondering if my computer will boot because of NVRAM reset or if some future update will make it harder to re-enable TRIM.

I'll look at the Crucial. I wasn't sure about the PNY but it seemed like a good bang for buck SSD. I'm also now looking at OWC as they state their SSD's don't require TRIM. Are there other SSD's that don't require TRIM?

OWC article:
    http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

The only problem with OWC that I can tell is that their SSDs are not the fastest and they're a little pricey for what you get.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's fair enough. Certainly understandable.
    It's not worth it for everybody.

- No SSDs require TRIM as such. It is generally recommended to use it, but one can get by without it. I'm afraid I'm not entirely up to speed on which SSDs run the best without TRIM, so someone else will have to step in there.