2009 MBP with HP 2511x?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tardman91, May 30, 2012.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I just ordered an HP 2511x 25" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. Will it work with my 2009 MBP using a mini display port to vga adapter? The computer works fine when I attach it to my HD TV. Just curious because the more I look around I see stuff about dual-link DVI adapters, regular mini display port to DVI, and mini display port to HDMI. The monitor has all 3 inputs (vga, dvi, hdmi) and I was just wondering which one will work best. I know the audio won't work through HDMI on the 2009 mbp. I'm using the MBP in clamshell mode, so I don't have to worry about dual display resolutions and such. Thanks.

2. vbrad26 macrumors member

you are going to have issues...ill tell you that
    it seems like everyone does

the problem is when the computer goes to sleep it stops sending the signal to the monitor...then the monitor sleeps
    now when you wake the computer back up the monitor will not wake up
    the only way to get the monitor to respond is by unplugging it from the power source

right now i have it set up so that the monitor does not go to sleep when it does not receive a signal

so when the mac goes to sleep the monitor stays on with a message saying that there is no signal...and in that case i just turn it off

the monitor worked fine with my old 2007 black macbook running snow leopard but when i switched the the 15 inch mbpro i had the issue so i googled it and it looks like a common problem

its a great monitor though and i was thinking about retuning it because of the issue but i like it so much that im just dealing with it
    i mean its really not that big of an issue for me

but i have it hooked up using DVI

3. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

So if I just set the monitor to not sleep I won't run into this problem? That's not a big deal to me, as I usually turn my monitor off anyway. I don't mind pushing a button every time I want to use the computer. Thanks.

4. vbrad26 macrumors member

thats right...just go into the settings and go to management
    from there turn off the power saver and the power on recall settings

that way when your computer goes to sleep it wont put the monitor to sleep as well

instead the monitor will just say there is no signal and the message moves about the screen so if you forget to turn off the monitor that message wont be stuck in one place potentially burning into the screen

so yeah i just simply turn off the monitor when i know i wont be using the computer for a bit...macbook will fall asleep and then when come back i just wake up the computer and turn the monitor back on

its been working fine for me