Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Hey everyone,

My wife has a 09 MBP that has been running slow lately. Any ideas on how to fix this ad improve the speed. She's been getting the beach ball quite often.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey everyone,

My wife has a 09 MBP that has been running slow lately. Any ideas on how to fix this ad improve the speed. She's been getting the beach ball quite often.

Thanks.
If you're having performance issues, this may help:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
If you're having performance issues, this may help:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Screenshots:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    372.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.png
    2.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.png
    3.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.png
    4.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 66

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
When is the last time you restarted your Mac? You have significant page outs, which could indicate you need more RAM. Your MBP can use up to 8GB of RAM.

Not sure when the last time she restarted it but I can now. Will installing new RAM cause her to lose any files? Everything is backed up.

Any suggestions for places to get new/more RAM?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not sure when the last time she restarted it but I can now.
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
Will installing new RAM cause her to lose any files?
No, RAM isn't storage for files. That's what your hard drive is for. RAM contents are emptied every time you restart your Mac.
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

No, RAM isn't storage for files. That's what your hard drive is for. RAM contents are emptied every time you restart your Mac.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Thank you very much.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Page outs went from 7.3 GB to 0 with a restart.
Yes, re-read my post. The purpose of restarting is to reset page outs to zero.
Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Amazon and newegg have good deals most of the time. If you live near a Frys, they've got good deals too.

I recently upgraded my mid-2009 13" MBP from 4GB RAM and the 250GB 5200RPM HDD to 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I actually bought both at Frys on sale. There was a noticeable improvement in speed and responsiveness.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Amazon and newegg have good deals most of the time. If you live near a Frys, they've got good deals too.

I recently upgraded my mid-2009 13" MBP from 4GB RAM and the 250GB 5200RPM HDD to 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I actually bought both at Frys on sale. There was a noticeable improvement in speed and responsiveness.

Thank you. I'll check that site.

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I think I'll go with these. Pretty sure they fit. Going from 2 of RAM to 8.
dy5y8a3y.jpg

Gary86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Should work well! I didn't know any of the mid 2009 MBP models even came with 2GB of RAM.

Yup. Kinda weak. That was my first MacBook switching from PC and didn't know much about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.