2009 mini snores while asleep

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by stix666, Apr 8, 2009.

1. stix666 macrumors regular

Just got it today. When I sleep it, a quiet but audible noise kicks off that increases and decreases in intensity with the light on the front of the unit gets brighter and dimmer (so sort of sinusoidal).

Any ideas what this could be and how to fix it? I've tried restarting it and resetting the SMC. The unit got upgraded to 4Gb ram and a 7200 320gb hard drive today. But I don't believe it's the hard drive - that makes a very low key monotonous whine that stops when I sleep the unit

2. trose macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Huh? Bizarre. Sounds almost to me like you're hearing a very high frequency having to do with the electrical change
    In the LED.
    Nothing should be fluctuating while it's asleep other than the light... It's just for show, has no real purpose.

Are you very sensitive to frequencies elsewhere?

Just my crazy guess ...

3. stix666 thread starter macrumors regular

Worked it out

The headphone jack is connected to an amp. When I disconnect this, the sound stops. Must be some sort of interference going on