2009 MP intermittent BlueTooth even with dongle

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cubemmal, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro never had a decent Bluetooth signal which I think is a common occurrence. It was so bad that I got the BTX Bluetooth Range Extender (http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/btx_bluetooth_range_extender/) which I'm pretty sure is just a BT dongle. Still had problems until about 10.8, during which Apple finally got off their lazy butts and fixed a bunch of USB bugs that were also causing problems.

Fast forward and I'm still occasionally getting BT problems. Erratic laggy performance, looking at the RSSI signal I'm seeing a solid -45dBm which is better than any other computer, but it still has problems. Moving the dongle around doesn't make any difference.

Yet another problem with my Mac Pro ... any ideas?

2. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Did you disconnect the built-in bluetooth? I've been using a BT dongle successfully since I bought my used MP 4,1 a year ago.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

According to the link, it adds bluetooth even to computers without bluetooth, so it appears to be nothing more than a USB bluetooth adapter. Probably it is interfering with your built-in bluetooth.

I would try the following:
    1) Disconnect the built-in bluetooth and see if that fixes the problem.
    2) If that doesn't help, add a USB extension cable and move the dongle closer to your devices.