2009 Nehalem Mac Pro Run Hot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zcoolxp, Mar 24, 2009.

1. zcoolxp macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 2.93 octo mac pro have had it a week now and noticed it run much hotter than my 2008 mac pro just wondering if anyone else can confirm this or post cpu temps i just downloaded the new temp monitor 4.7 which says its fully compatible with 09 pros and temps are high 60's to low 70 in C

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Is that while at idle, or during/just after a heavy session?

What is the ambient room temperature?

You've not really provided enough information...

Generally, CPUs have an operating temperature into the 90's so I wouldn't say your temps are 'hot' per se.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If the CPU coolers are inadequate for the faster chips, they might run hotter... it's not a big deal except you won't gain any benefits from the Turbo Boost feature (not that you need it with a 2.93 octo :p)

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

As RemarkabLee mentioned, details would be helpful. :)

From what I've noticed in another thread, the heatsinks seem to be doing OK. Though too much thermal compound can cause high temps.

Nehalem is hotter than Penryn. From information available, as well as my own observations. I've also noticed some notable variance in temps as well, but I've no idea if it's the CPU's or other issues like airflow, poor thermal compound applications, or overclock related.

5. zcoolxp thread starter macrumors newbie

ambient temp is 33C and no load its just idle with maybe itunes open and a couple of web pages cpu usage is at like 5 percent good airflow as my 2008 mac pro was in the same spot for a year just untill i bought this one and that machine ran at 35-40C same conditions i noticed it made my room hotter since the first day i used it but untill today i didn't know the temps

room temp is like mid to high 60F

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

With an ambient of 33C, no wonder. ;) What's heating the air in the case that high?

You should see something in the neighborhood of a 30-32C rise from ambient.
    If the room temp (usually ambient is 60F), you'd get 16C (room temp) + 30C = 46C idle. This matches up with what I've seen with Nehalem.

BTW, as ambient rises, the cooling efficiency drops, so the idle and load temps will increase. Which is why you are seeing higher than 33C+30C. Rise would become 34-35C, which will match what you're currently getting.

The aluminum housing that separates the CPU area should keep the graphics card and other peripherals from being the cause. :confused:

7. zcoolxp thread starter macrumors newbie

im wondering if it has something to do with the memory and procs being so close together on the 08 series they were more separated

also i am measuring core temps not heatsink temps they are usually 50C CPU A and 40C CPU B

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ahh...OK.

It's not the memory, as it runs much cooler than the FB-DIMM's used in the '08 models. (Why there's no heatsinks on the memory this time). ;)

Temps on the CPU Heatsinks is good, and the core temps are by no means critical. If you're adventurous, you might want to remove the heatsinks and re-apply the thermal compound. It may be too thick.

Otherwise, the program may be off. Particularly given the new version and new technology it's trying to measure.

Either way, I don't think there's a need to panic :D, as you can operate Nehalem at ~89C (OC'd). :eek: ;) Crazy, but it's being done, and is apparently stable. I've had mine up to 83C under load with overclocking. :p

9. zcoolxp thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks for the answers just didn't have a good idea about how hot these new proc needed to be to operate with any problems

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand. I don't like to go too high, and cut mine back. I don't want the temps to exceed ~73C or so, for long term reliability. ;)

I'd rather not BBQ the thing. :D :p

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

Right now my 07 octo is running 140-150 and the ambient reads 78. I just authored a DVD. Meh.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Fahrenheit, I hope. :eek: :p

13. dagomike macrumors 65816

I only think in metric when brewing. :)

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL :D

I'm always having to live in a Fahrenheit world (locally at any rate), but work in a metric one. :eek: :p

15. Eithanius macrumors 65816

You have yet to see mine running 167+ constant load of 7 cores 24/7, on a 90+ ambient. :p

But what puzzles me is that the threadstarter's idle CPU readings of high 60C to low 70C... :eek::eek: he needs SMCFanControl... I wonder if it runs on the new 09 MPs.