2009 U.S. Open (tennis)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Sep 12, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so anyone keeping up with this? sorry if there is already a thread on it. i already searched and didn't find anything.

so Nadal's match with hopefully finally get to finish today. it's set to start right now, or should i say continue right now. all tennis was rained out yesterday, and Nadal's match was suspended due to rain on thursday night

2. KillerWhale macrumors newbie

KillerWhale

i've been following it. I am a big fan of Federer, though. And i'd like to see Nadal lose the quarterfinals.

3. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

It's too late for that.

He's already made it into the semi-finals, facing DelPotro next.

I, too, am a big fan of Federer. I want to see Nadal struggle against DelPotro, and ultimately, lose in a 5-setter.

Then, Federer vs DelPotro for the title, a rematch (if you will) of the French Open match.

4. KillerWhale macrumors newbie

KillerWhale

Yeah, I've just never really liked Nadal all that much. I think the way Federer plays has a certain art to it. Whether or not you like him, it's just brilliant to watch.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm a huge fan of Federer, so I'd like to see Nadal and Federer in the finals, just like in July, But you know, that's not happening.

6. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

The only problem I have with Nadal is his flat personality. It seems he's been trained ever since he was a kid, to have a very repressed personality.

I personally think it's Uncle Toni's doing. It seems he's the puppeteer controlling Nadal, telling him what to say. An example would be the whole pulling out of Wimbledon and then coming back to the US Open, and mentioning that he still has injuries, even after resuming his traditional playing (grinding and running for balls).

It seemed like a total strategic move on Toni's part; Nadal mentions still being injured before the US Open (and not wanting to talk about it even now), so that when, and if, he loses, he can blame it all on his "injuries."

This raises the question: We all know he has an ab strain, but is he covering up this whole "injury" talk just so he can fall back on an excuse when he loses?

I still maintain that him losing to Federer at Madrid, and then subsequently losing to Soderling at the French Open early on, shook his foundation.

Oh, and add Federer winning both majors, which he previously held the titles to.

They played in July?

I remember they only played each other at Madrid on clay a few months back, and Federer won.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

They played each other at Wimbledon....that was in July right?

8. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Nadal and Federer? Wimbledon 2009?

No, Nadal dropped out.

Federer played Roddick and won Wimbledon in July.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Oh, wow. I was getting him confused with Nadal...my bad :eek:. Honest mistake.
    But still, I'm a big fan of Federer.

10. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Anybody watching what's happening with this whole Serena ordeal?

I thought it was rather funny. :D

11. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

That was a terrible way to end the Clijsters/S.Williams game... disappointing for everyone involved. I seriously thought Serena was gonna get physical the second time she yelled at the woman. And it's definitely too bad especially since it apparently wasn't a foot fault. I'd love to hear what she said.

And that match was essentially the finals...

12. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

It will VERY interesting to see if the USTA or WTA seriously looks at a huge fine or even suspension against Serena for her outburst last night. Remember, CBS does have a tape of the audio of that outburst, and the uncensored version if probably in the hands of USTA and/or WTA officials right now for review....

13. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

First off, there was no grounds for Serena to even be -talking- to the line judge. Period. They're not allowed to do it. Second, after the press conference, Serena even admits that it probably was a foot fault. So throw out that excuse of "poor Serena didn't deserve to be put in that position." She was getting beaten, and had already displayed HORRIBLE sportsmanship with the racquet-beating earlier. She got exactly what she deserved, and it's shameful that she hasn't apologized for her actions. From where I'm standing, she should be banned from all events until she apologizes in writing to that line judge, and the league overall. A suspension/fine is definitely in order. Oh, and she can take her claim of "not remembering" what she said and shove it up her ass. I'm sure that CBS' footage will remind anyone concerned with her awful, immature behavior.

14. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

What a crazy U.S. Open, on the women's side at least. I was hoping for Clijsters to win it from the beginning, and I hope she still does.

As for last night, my friends and I replayed the bit on our DVR a few times and lip read what she said.

"I'm going to take this f* ball and shove it down your f* throat." It gets unclear what she said after that.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Clearly, Serena went over the line with her tirade at the line judge. She should be fined at the very least.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks like she will be fined $10,000 by the US Open.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/10041466/Serena-fined-$10K-as-U.S.-Open-reviews-outburst

17. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Anybody else excited for Federer/DelPotro?

I'm hoping Fed dispatches him somewhat easily. He seems to strategize well against heavy hitters.

And did anybody see the beneath-the-legs shot he made against Djokovic today?

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQhIEPbM0g

;)