2009 Unibody MBP Keeps Shutting Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ecstasy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Hi there, folks.

I've been having some problems with my Unibody MBP (purchased in July 2009). I've already been to the Apple store to attempt to fix the problem, but no go. Here's the problem:

- MBP shuts down unexpectedly around 60-80% battery life. This usually occurs when I'm watching a YouTube video or random web-surfing.
    - After it shuts down, I press the power button, the Apple screen shows up, and it shuts down again.
    - The only solution is to plug it in to be charged to the MagSafe and then turn it back on.

This has been happening a few months before my AppleCare expired in July 2012. I consulted the Genius Bar numerous times beforehand, who, after some fixes, told me it's all fine.

It apparently isn't fine. I've also reset the SMC, etc. Any tips?

Thanks.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Take it back and explain that it's not fine.

Sounds like a battery and/or logic board issue.

3. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

^ Will do, but I take it they'll charge me for the fix.

The worst part may be that it'll still happen after paying for the fix.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It sounds like a battery issue. How many cycles are on your battery? If you're unsure, go to About This Mac > System Report (used to be "more info") > Power and then, under the Health Information section, look at the cycle count.

Even if your cycle count is low, batteries don't last forever. Apple used to have a policy of free battery replacements if the battery failed prematurely, which was determined based on cycle count and battery age. Since your battery is coming upon being four years old it's probably outside of Apple's coverage terms. Pre-unibody batteries ran around $100; the newer batteries are probably around there, too.

5. rsmendes macrumors newbie

i had the same problem, it was one of my ram modules.

tested using memtest, all results came out ok, but when i took one out at a time, i figured which was messed.
    i've replaced it and never had that problem again

6. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Hey, guys, thanks for the help.

Went to the Apple store today; it was a battery issue. They swapped it out in less than 10 minutes, I paid ~$140, and now it's running like when I first bought it in 2009.

The Genius told me it was in pretty nice tip-top shape for being a 3-yo MBP.

Thanks again!