Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franco265

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2018
Hi all, I am migrating my daughters macbook pro to a macbook air which has a much smaller hard drive. The iphoto library on the pro is more than 200gb and the photobooth library is also nudging up to 100gb.

I can get her to delete some videos - but what is the best way to do this in iphoto?

Also, I have more than a terrabyte free in icloud storage. Is there a way to take advantage of this to resolve it? And if I upload to icloud, will she still be able to access the videos on the smaller hard drive since she wouldn't have the space to download them if she decided she needed them...

Be grateful for any help / advice on this...

Many thanks

F

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I can help but can I check which App you are using. Are you using iPhoto that Apple discontinued a few years ago, or are you using Apple Photos ?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hi all, I am migrating my daughters macbook pro to a macbook air which has a much smaller hard drive. The iphoto library on the pro is more than 200gb and the photobooth library is also nudging up to 100gb.

I can get her to delete some videos - but what is the best way to do this in iphoto?

Also, I have more than a terrabyte free in icloud storage. Is there a way to take advantage of this to resolve it? And if I upload to icloud, will she still be able to access the videos on the smaller hard drive since she wouldn't have the space to download them if she decided she needed them...

Many thanks

F
From my understanding:
1. Add your daughters' iCloud account into your Family sharing. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208147
2. Then on their old Macs where the photos reside, turn on iCloud Photo library, and let it upload all the photos to iCloud. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264
3. I have no experience with Photo booth app. Worse come to worse, you probably need to import them to the Photos app first, and then let it upload to iCloud.
4. Once everything is on iCloud, on the new Mac, you just need to turn on iCloud photo library and Optimize Mac storage, and macOS will automatically download/delete photos as needed, so you don't have to worry even if your local storage is less than your photo library in iCloud. https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/from-icloud-photos-phtf5e48489c/mac

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi - I assume you are using Apple Photos - The easiest way to identify any video clips in your library is to select 'Videos' in the Media Types under Albums. I have put together a short screencast video for you here.

As far as PhotoBooth is concerned you can either delete the photos and videos in the App itself or use the finder, which may be your best option if you have a lot of images. I show how you can do that here.

@ian87w above has some great advice on using iCloud Photos to store all the images and videos and actively manage the storage space on your new MacBook Air so that if space is short, lower (smaller files) resolution files are held on the local hard disk and the original kept in iCloud until you download it.

Last edited:

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011

Many thanks

F
Have you considered just buying an external drive, and simply drag dropping the photos/videos onto it. Then you can upload what you want onto iCloud, but also have a backup of them.

Reactions: franco265

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
iCloud Photo can store photos in the cloud and only keep small previews on your local drive. That way I was able to reduce my Photos library from 78GB, which I keep in its entirety on my iMac, to less than 5GB on my MacBook with limited storage.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
From my understanding:
1. Add your daughters' iCloud account into your Family sharing. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208147
2. Then on their old Macs where the photos reside, turn on iCloud Photo library, and let it upload all the photos to iCloud. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264
3. I have no experience with Photo booth app. Worse come to worse, you probably need to import them to the Photos app first, and then let it upload to iCloud.
4. Once everything is on iCloud, on the new Mac, you just need to turn on iCloud photo library and Optimize Mac storage, and macOS will automatically download/delete photos as needed, so you don't have to worry even if your local storage is less than your photo library in iCloud. https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/from-icloud-photos-phtf5e48489c/mac

Side benefit: if your daughter has an iPhone, she'll be able to see all of her photos there regardless of how much storage is available on the device.

franco265

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2018
Hi - I assume you are using Apple Photos - The easiest way to identify any video clips in your library is to select 'Videos' in the Media Types under Albums. I have put together a short screencast video for you here.

As far as PhotoBooth is concerned you can either delete the photos and videos in the App itself or use the finder, which may be your best option if you have a lot of images. I show how you can do that here.

@ian87w above has some great advice on using iCloud Photos to store all the images and videos and actively manage the storage space on your new MacBook Air so that if space is short, lower (smaller files) resolution files are held on the local hard disk and the original kept in iCloud until you download it.
Hi James, sorry for my delayed reply, I just wanted to say a huge thanks for your help. :)

franco265

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2018
Have you considered just buying an external drive, and simply drag dropping the photos/videos onto it. Then you can upload what you want onto iCloud, but also have a backup of them.
Thanks for the tip madone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.