200mb data plan enough? Or should I wait for IP4 data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnmao, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jsnmao macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I checked out my data usage on the att website and it turns out surprisingly that i consistently use under 200mb a month.

1. I beejive im every work day for at least 2 hours on edge(don't tell my boss) but it suprisingly only comes out to only about 4mbs per day (if i used 3g would the data consumption be higher?)

2. I maybe use slingplayer 1 day a month on 3g (sad) about 10mbs i think

3. I grab email manually by opening up the mail app maybe twice a day max.

Do you think i should switch asap? or is it best recommended to view iphone 4 data usage first in case i upload 720p video (which i doubt they will let you do)

2. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Do you have an iPhone now? If yes, then you could try 200MB, but might be tough. If this is your first iPhone, probably not. Also, depends on how often you have access to good wifi.

3. dmx macrumors 6502

Keep the unlimited plan for a month or two and see how much data you use. Multitasking will likely increase your usage. (browsing and listening to pandora in background, etc). Not to mention uploading video. And I don't know if you use Netflix, but a Netflix app is supposed to be on it's way and that will definetely be a data hog on 3G.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

just keep the unlimited plan.....

with HD recording, I think your gonna end up sending a few emails with videos.

after all, according to one poster....a 1 minute HD video will weigh in at 80MB

5. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Up to this point, I haven't used over 500mb so I considered saving a few bucks a month by dropping to the new $25 plan. However, with background audio and other features of iOS4, I will be doing some new things with my phone so I will wait and see how it changes my data usage.

6. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

plus the 10 dollar 1gb, overage charge is somewhat resonable IMHO

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm staying with the 200MB. I've had no data on my jailbroken 2G so I'm use to not using data.

Although it was really good to use it on my 3GS before I sold it...

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

First of all, I doubt ATT (I assume you are using ATT) will allow you to upload more than 10MB of data via 3G. So emailing HD videos via 3G is probably out of the equation.

I know this because I keep on getting error messages when trying to email video recorded from my 3GS which records video in VGA mode. I have Yahoo Premium email that allows 25MB email attachments. I try to email a 15 MB video file to another yahoo premium customer and ATT won't allow it.

But getting back to the OP. If you are using less than 200MB consistently (or are close to it), keep track of your usage the next 3-4 months. Keep the unlimited data for now.

If after 3-4 months you are using less than 200MB, than downgrade to the$15 plan. But if you are using say 500MB-1GB, I actually would KEEP the unlimited grandfathered plan.

Stay away from the $25 2GB data plan for now.

Are you on a FAN also? I get a 24% discount with my $30 data plan so it's only $22.70 a month for unlimited. I don't think ATT discounts my $10 family unlimited data on one of my spare lines. So I assume it won't discount $15 200MB smartphone data plan so that makes my keeping the $30 unlimited data plan much easier. Obviously not all FANs are the same. I get discounts on all of my $30 iphone data lines but nothing on my one $10 family unlimited data line.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Are you friggin kidding me. How did you get this far in life without being able to think for yourself. You are worried about something that hasn't happened yet. Yet the phone, get a plan, change it if you need to. Don't bother us with the fact that you prolly shouldn't have it in the first place if you need to ask these questions a week before.

Why don't you get married, have a kid, get a dog and get divorced because you don't think the dog is the right color to match your favorite shoes :eek:

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I thought you couldn't upload over 20 MB on 3G anyway.