2010 11" Macbook replacement logic board advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by james*b, Feb 16, 2015.

1. james*b macrumors regular

Hi,
    My 2010 11" Macbook 3,1 ( A1370 EMC 2393) was trashed last year by a liquid spill. I am told by Apple that the logic board needs replacing but they want way too much for the part. Is it worth finding one on eBay and trying to fit it myself, and if so could someone let me know which part I should look for and does it have to be from exactly the same model from 2010?
    Thanks,

2. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

You'll want the exact same model. late 2010 macbook air's are still going for around $500USD on the US eBay store. Seems crazy for core 2 duo tech. How much did apple quote for the repair?

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Before you jump in and maybe replace the logic board or the whole unit, I would try taking apart the system and cleaning everything with alcohol. I recently did the same thing with a liquid damaged unit and after I put it back together, it worked. There is no way of saying if this would work for you as you never know if a part got zapped, but I think it is worth a try.

iFixit guide here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Late+2010+Logic+Board+Replacement/4394

4. james*b thread starter macrumors regular

I can't find the original final quote but the initial estimate for the board was about €261 + VAT.

5. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Well the part itself on ifixit.com would cost more than that quote, particularly if you want a 4GB logic board. If you are happy with the computer then it's not an exorbitantly high price to be up and running again.