2010 11" MBA vs MAcbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mhotep, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Mhotep macrumors member

Need some help on a desicion. I have a 2011 11" MBA with 128gb for myself and work. Going to get my wife a 2011 MBA 128gb, she loves the bigger screen. The problem is the kids. Daughter in 21 in last year of college and son is 15 in HS. Everyone has a Ipad, wife and I have the newer ones and kids has last gen. Daughter needs a new computer, I will add she is hard on electronics. she has gone through 2 so far, last one only made it a few months before she dropped it. Thinking about switching them over to macs and having a hard time decideding between the 2010 MBA and a Macbook form them. At Best buy cost is 834 for 2010 Macbook air with a 100 gift card, and will trade in the old laptops for a few dollars off the price. Advantage is it will come with applecare. Think they are out of the white macbooks not sure, not listed online anymore. But they were 935 last time I saw them in store.
    I have an extra ext hard drive for my daughter to back up her stuff. Son can use the ext hard drive connected to airport, he doesn't listen to music much. Any opinions on the two machines. I'm even looking at used machines but looking at pricepoint not a huge difference to negate a new machine with applecare.

2. johnadams2007 macrumors member

johnadams2007

get the geek squad black tie protection if buying at best buy. it covers accidental damage and applecare does not. just a tip =p

edit: applecare and black tie protection are about the same price, so its a good deal

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. If you can find a good deal on a used 2010 Air (craiglist), you can still buy applecare on any machine that's under a year old. The last generation of Air's was first released in October, so any one you find will either have for be eligible for the extended coverage.

2. I don't think any coverage will work for an extended period with someone who is abusive or extremely neglectful of their machines, however. You can either:

a. Buy your daughter a machine with a hard shell case and other means of protection while being transported (sleeve, backpack, etc.);

b. Consider an Air or other machine that either comes with, or can be replaced, an SSD in place of a hard drive. They are generally more durable than conventional spinning HD's;

c. Respectfully, have her buy her own laptop. She is 21 and almost through college. She may show a little more care and consideration of something if it's coming out of her pocket instead of Daddy's.