2010 11" Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acronyc, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I know there are many battery/charging questions here, but I think this may be a new one. My apologies in advance if it’s not. Last night when I went to charge my 2010 MBA no light was present on the MagSafe adapter and it wouldn’t charge. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it worked. After using my MBA without incident in some meetings this morning, I got back to work and again it wouldn’t charge with another MagSafe adapter I have at my office. I tried resetting the SMC, but nothing happened and different outlets also had no effect. After about 30 minutes it started charging again and after that I think I reset the SMC successfully due to the light changing on the MagSafe adapter during the process. It’s charging fine now, but since two adapters didn’t kick in with charging right away I’m wondering if I should be worried that this is indicative of a pending hardware problem. Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. Robyr macrumors regular

Mine has done similar, nearly since I bought it, but it has leveled out now. I am suspicious though, and I suspect the PSU is on its way out. Oh well, thank god for warranties.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you have a secure connection between the adapter and your computer. See the MagSafe troubleshooting link under the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. lilkangster macrumors member

5. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies and at least it's nice to know that I'm not alone. It's continued exhibit this problem every day this week. Basically when I first plug it in to any charger in any outlet it won't start charging until 30-60 minutes after it's been plugged in. Once the charger kicks in, it will work fine even if I unplug it for a short period. But if it's unplugged for an extended period, the charger will take a long time to start working again. The MagSafe connection is secure and clean, so there must be something funny going on. I guess a trip to the Apple Store is required, and I'm very happy I bought AppleCare a few weeks before my original warranty expired.

6. redpinecone macrumors newbie