2010 13" 2.4 core 2 duo or 2010 15" 2.53 i5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcolaheadbussa, Feb 25, 2011.

1. pcolaheadbussa macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I just recently purchased a new dslr camera. Really getting into photography alot and have decided to get a new computer as i am currently using my gf's crappy old acer laptop. I never thought i would get anything but a pc but after years of frustration using a pc with contently needing to update, viruses, slowdown, etc..i started looking into macbooks. I have decided to go with one of the refurbished 2010 macbooks but cant decide between two of them. The 13" 2.4 or the 15" 2.53 i5. I am sure the 13" would be able to handle all my photo editing needs such as aperture 3 and photoshop. My only reason for considering the 15" is for gaming. Now i know macbooks are not the top of the line gaming machines but i also have heard that you can game on them, with lower settings of course. I have a xbox 360 for most of my gaming and my macbook will primarily be used for photo editing but i would still love to be able to play some of them games i have always wanted to play but never got the chance due to not owning a decent computer. Probably the most graphic intensive game i would love to play would be battlefield 2.

My question is, would it be worth the extra $400 for the more powerful processor and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M over the 320M or really any noticeable gaming difference between the two? If anyone has any benchmarks for battlefiend 2 for either of these macs feel free to share as well :) any comments appreciated. thanks

2. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I would go for the i5. Actually, I'm getting the i5 tomorrow, after trading in my 13" 2.4. The 13" is a marvellous machine and has never failed me. It's also more than fine for aperture (I usually use LR though) and photoshop which is a big part of my overall work but I'm making the step up because I really appreciate the extra real screen estate, especially during editing. I think you would too.