2010 13" as a HTPC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get a computer(I know I should get an apple tv, but I want a full fledged Mac) to have hooked up full time to the new TV in our bedroom, a 51" 1080p plasma(replacing a 37" 1080p LCD which I'm working on convincing my gf to let me mount in our bathroom). Right now, I just hook up a MacBook(the one I'm asking about using is a 7,1; 2.4 C2D, 320M) whenever we want to watch a BluRay or play some music through the surround, but it's a pain in the Mac.

I was thinking either a refurb 27" iMac, which I could put on a desk that is ~10 feet from the TV, or a Mac mini(the one with the "good" graphics card) which would go with the other TV stuff(cable box and the like). I really like the idea of having a computer on our desk in addition to having it hooked to the TV, but that got me thinking a little. I could keep my current 13" on the desk full time, hooked up to the TV and surround and everything, and for around the same price as the 27" get a refurb 13" i7. But then I don't have a huge iMac as the computer, it's a little 13" laptop; I get a new laptop, but there's nothing I do that really taxes my current one, so there's not even a real reason to upgrade?

Anyway, I'm just looking to see what some people here would do. Thanks a lot :)

2. Darklandman macrumors newbie

Refurb Mini

Prehaps it would be better to get a refurb 2010 mini and put a bluray drive in it. Mac mini's make the perfect home theatre pc's and the 2010 has a built in dvd drive.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Blu-rays cannot be played on a Mac, only written on.

4. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should have been more specific when I said BluRay, I have .mkv BluRay rips(~10+GB each) on NAS.

5. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

this is an extremely confusing question haha, why not jus get the mac mini? thats what it is designed for

6. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's complicated lol, but here's the way I'm looking at it

Mini: only hooked up to TV, not much "computer" use

Refurb 27" iMac: hooked up to TV, have a real computer at the desk with a huge, great screen. Plus would look nice in our room. I can route the HDMI/audio cables through the wall so that isn't really an issue.

2010 13"(my current laptop, which I would be replacing with a 2011 13" iX): hooked up to TV, have a computer at the desk, but since it would have the same size screen as my laptop, not really any benefits to have it. I could just use my current laptop at the desk whenever I wanted.

I think it will be worth spending a little extra on the iMac, and since I won't be installing a ton of stuff on it and all my media is on NAS, I could get away with a single, small SSD for cheap (120GB Vertex3 is under $200).

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I convert my media using Handbrake (ATV2 setting). My 51" Samsung & ATV2 (even though 720p) looks excellent in my eyes. I dish it out from a NAS wirelessly via iTunes running on a 2010 MBP 13"

The ATV2 is just a really nice little media player as long as you supply it with .m4v videos

8. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my new computer is on hold for a little. My girlfriend's dog(full AKC Maltese, she just turned a year old and weighs a few ounces under 4 pounds) got "sick," turned out her blood sugar just got a little low(since she's so small she can get hypoglycemic really quickly, thank god this is the 1st time it's happened to her) while she already had a little bit of a cold/cough. We told the vet do whatever he had to do, she got iv fluids, meds, tests, blah blah; anyway, now we get to wait and see how much of the multiple thousand we will be getting back from puppy insurance. Looking back at it we jumped the gun a little, but we saw her having a seizure(and she had been eating normally so we didn't think it could be hypo, and didn't want the vet to wait to start other tests/treatment while he was waiting to see if it was hypo) and money was the last thing we were thinking about. So because of this I took a decent amount out of my "nerd fund" and moved it over into the "puppy war chest," even though we should be getting a lot of this back, I want to have it ready incase something bad actually does happen.